What island is this?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
I know where it is, do you?

Its in the Pacific.

"Uncommon valor was the norm"

Attachments

• island2.jpg
    island2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 100
That's Iwo Jima. It's burned into my memory from reading a lot about it and giving a presentation on it at the museum. The bloodiest battle the Marines ever fought. Here are some brief facts about Iwo Jima:

- 25,581 US casualties including 6,825 dead
- About 1/3 of Marine Corps casualties in WWII were during this 36 day battle
- About 22,000 Japanese dead
- WWII CMOH total 81 Marines and 57 Navy recipients
- Iwo Jima: 22 Marines and 5 sailors received the CMOH
- By the end of the war, 2,400 B-29s made emergency landings on Iwo Jima
Saving 27,000 crewmen!

Many commanders would pay tribute to the courage and tenacity of the Iwo Jima Marines, but Admiral Nimitz said it best:

The battle of Iwo Island has been won. The United States Marines by their individual and collective courage have conquered a base which is as necessary to us in our continuing forward movement toward final victory as it was vital to the enemy in staving off ultimate defeat. By their victory the Third, Fourth and Fifth Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island uncommon valor was a common virtue.

:salute:

Yep, the entire island is about 7.5 to 8 square miles. Before the battle, the Japanese had almost 16 miles of tunnels below the surface. During the batle, it was the most populated place on earth, with about 25,000 Japanese fighting about 50,000 Marines. That averages out to about 1000 men per square mile!

Yep, that's "Mount Sonofabitchi" all right. Probably the easiest island in the Pacific to ID.

Hmm....I wouldn't know. When I looked at Google earth all the Pacific islands were a blur.

But oddly enough, I can see my house on my personal google earth, but I can't see London or Washington D.C. and many other places you would think were of more importance.

Wrong settings?

Ok, on google.com you can see a lot more on the maps search. cool.

I found several other ships.

I wonder if it was a breakwater of sorts that was made.

This picture is centered just meters south of the ship in Evans picture

Attachments

• iwo ships.JPG
    iwo ships.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 74
Could be, although on the picture its turning the wrong way, but then again it could have just been turned around and used as a dock after the war - certainly looks like it looking at the first picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back