what kind of plane is this?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oct 21, 2019
Planes with canards. What is the name they are given? Also, what is the plane in the attached image?

Attachments

• 02-libellula_orig.jpg
    02-libellula_orig.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 269
BTW, I read that planes with canards are unstable in flight and a flight correction computer is needed (even multiple times per second). On the other hand, such planes were built in the pre-computer age. So... what's the truth?

BTW, I read that planes with canards are unstable in flight and a flight correction computer is needed (even multiple times per second). On the other hand, such planes were built in the pre-computer age. So... what's the truth?
Canards don't make an aircraft unstable.

Canards would actually make the plane more stable in flight

The Wright Flyer was a Canard, or at least had the elevators forward of the wings.

True, but later such structures disappeared for a long time. There was a Focke-Wulf F 19, but no success, this company also designed such a bomber, but the military considered the project a silly idea. There had to be some reason for the bad opinion of Canard.

Canards don't make an aircraft unstable.
If the horizontal surface and elevator are at the rear, they push the tail down for level flight. If they are in the front they provide upward lift to keep the nose up. If set up correctly, they stall or lose lift before the wing and the nose drops. preventing the main wing from stalling. Unless you really want to stall the main wing that is.

True, but later such structures disappeared for a long time. There was a Focke-Wulf F 19, but no success, this company also designed such a bomber, but the military considered the project a silly idea. There had to be some reason for the bad opinion of Canard.

They came back in the 1930s. The first Lockheed jet fighter design had canards, and the Curtiss XP-55 had forward-placed elevators.

It is possible that your memory is confusing "canard" with "forward-swept wings" such as the Grumman X-29 had. The X-29 was indeed highly unstable and required computer assist, but canards such as the Rutan VariEze are extremely stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back