What theatre would you fly?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

yep P-51D's in the ETO or Me 262's with Kommando Welter at night.

Erich - Every time I visualize night ops for LW, I think of the weather over Northern Europe in Wnter and Spring - with no Cat III..

That is another huge edge the USAAF/RAF had late in the war - IFR training was so much better.

Thinking about those young kids with 75-150 hours being posted to combat ops - just daylight ops without 100+ hours under the hood makes me shudder - and all on Gyro, needle and ball.

one of the things that is interesting about Welters unit is that nearly everyone of his pilots had excellent first hand on experience through single engine NF's or a unreal thorough Schulen program before they entered his unit, in fact he played so much on the ground and made sure his pilots though it's as quite fast, a real knowledge of their cockpit instruments. what is the claim that he scored so high and well against the RAF Mossies is pure bogusness during the spring of 45. the propaganda revolved around him as he was a trend-setter and many of his kills should be attributed to other pilots - there is of course no doubt in my mind the man was nothing but brilliant in the night skies when he did fly.

Fokker G.I in Germany
G.I because I'm fascinated by the a/c as there is not so much known about it and I would love to know how it flew
Germany because they only used it as a trainer and I would still be alive after the war if I only flew them :)

I would like to fly a P-47 'Jug' (my fave !) in the ground attack/targets of opportunity role in The Battle of the Bulge theatre. Watch the videos of German locomotives, airfields armoured convoys being shot up on You Tube...awesome ! Such a pivotal moment in WWII - the Nazi's just about to bolt for home and a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel after 6 long years.

Good question - first off anything Naval is out as I don't like water. Don't like the cold either so I'd say Northern Europe is out, Africa would be tempting but get shot down over the middle of the desert and you're in serious trouble. Wouldn't fancy having to hike out the jungle either so I'll go for the Italian front. As for aircraft, that's easy - Spitfire

Personal flight officer (wouldn't care about the aircraft) for either IKE or McArthur, get to know the guys closer and after the war its big bucks. :) hopefully.

Regards
Kruska

Second on my list would be flying Buffaloes for Finland. That would be.....exciting!

How about Rommel's personal pilot?

Id love to fly a Spitfire in North Africa. The wide open spaces, dog fights and desert camoflague on the spit suits me fine.

ETO: Hawker Tempest
Pacific: Beaufighter attacking ground targets

sorry but for grace wld be an early mk spit,performance o/all a corsair and happy to fly both eto and pacific.

Theatre: Battle of Britain
A/C: Hawker Thyphoon
Why:Because i believe it was one of the most intense air fight of the war, and the thyphoon was one of the best planes that flew in that battle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back