What use did these 2 pieces have?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

João Yazalde

Airman
Apr 25, 2022
I have seen these 2 parts of the plane. The one on the wings is new to me, I had never seen a piece like that, on the other hand, the one behind the propeller I have seen on other planes, but I don't know what it was for, what use did they have?

Last edited:
The device on the wing's leading edge, is called a "slat" and it changes the wing's performance when the airspeed drops.

The object ahead of the exhaust, in your image, is an error. That should be the first of six exhaust stacks, which were not painted.

Is he asking about 1) cooling air tunnels or 2) radiator?

1654231183284.png

I see it only on the "E" up to at least the -7. The "F" seems to have lost it

Actually the early Bf 109A...D had them too. But in the case the cooling slots were flat, slanted apertures both for the air intakes and outlets.

Bf-109B_a.jpg

Bf-109B_b.jpg

Bf-109D.jpg

Bf-109D1.jpg

Bf-109D1_a.jpg

However it looks like the E exchaust system was retro fitted to the ealry 109 as well.

Bf-109B2.jpg

the pic source: the net.

replying to fubar57, I am asking about part 2 of that BF 109 E4. Like I said, I've seen it before, like on this plane.

J João Yazalde Part 2 is the Bf109's oil cooler. The engine coolant radiators are under the wings. On the P-40 example you have shown, both the coolant and ol radiators are housed in the one large duct under the engine.

In your first shot, the leading edge slats on the 109 normally would not be open in level flight. The are meant to deploy when the wing approaches a stall like at very low speed or in tight turns. They were automatic and the pilot had no control over their function.

J João Yazalde Part 2 is the Bf109's oil cooler. The engine coolant radiators are under the wings. On the P-40 example you have shown, both the coolant and ol radiators are housed in the one large duct under the engine.

In your first shot, the leading edge slats on the 109 normally would not be open in level flight. The are meant to deploy when the wing approaches a stall like at very low speed or in tight turns. They were automatic and the pilot had no control over their function.
Oh, you mean these?:

One more thing, I have also seen this piece in the bf 109, what is it for?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back