What was Curtiss-Wright's greatest contribution to WWII?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Wright's invented roll control, but did so through wing warping IIRC. Curtiss actually invented the aileron as an improved means of roll control.

The Wrights crashed many times –saved by their canard design cushioning the impact- before they figured out the need for yaw control

I said the Wrights invented the first PRACTICAL aileron, not that they invented it. Their parent was upheld, as I stated.

Curtiss did not invent the aileron. That dates back to 1864 in the UK and the British scientist Matthew Piers Watt Boulton ... at least according to several references. I hope this doesn't turn into a finger-pointing item ...

Nope. I stand corrected. Invented was too strong a word. "Resorted to", maybe.

Many of the features of the Wright plane were individually tried previously but in the wrong combination.

on a side note there was a WW2 exhibit in town ( Pittsburgh ) that we walked through yesterday and i discovered CW had a prop plant 100 yards from where i went to school ( Beaver, PA). and the row houses were built to house its workers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back