What was the One Thing that won WWII?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

God you lot are missing somethings out li:
101st Airborne division
SAS
Midway
El Alamein
Stalingrad
D-Day
Etc.

Oswald was in Inteligance yes?

Here is a bit to crew on, we all like to talk BoB so why not say it but because the British and Comonwelth pilots were falling over friendly fields and could get back into the air.

Lancaster what happened to the nice piture on your sig?

Everything being mentioned was a key to victory, but none of them can truly be said to have been the one thing that won WWII (except perhaps the signing of the peace treaties).

Lightning Guy said:
Everything being mentioned was a key to victory, but none of them can truly be said to have been the one thing that won WWII (except perhaps the signing of the peace treaties).

I STRONGLY disagree!!!!!!!!!

The one the that one WWII was The Few. Who they are should be known by ALL Britons! They contributed more to your freedom than anyone else in the history of your country. If they had not succeeded, the Allies wouldn't have a base, the U.S.S.R. would have fallen, and there would be no more freedom (the Germans would have somehow taken the U.S.) and the "Inferior Races" would cease to exist.

GermansRGeniuses said:
Lightning Guy said:

I STRONGLY disagree!!!!!!!!!

The one the that one WWII was The Few. Who they are should be known by ALL Britons! They contributed more to your freedom than anyone else in the history of your country. If they had not succeeded, the Allies wouldn't have a base, the U.S.S.R. would have fallen, and there would be no more freedom (the Germans would have somehow taken the U.S.) and the "Inferior Races" would cease to exist.

Too bloody right mate!

A matter of massive speculation. I agree that the war would have been far more difficult without Great Britain in the fight. But America already had the B-36 in the works with which to bomb Germany from America and I imagine with the war being protracted the A-bomb would have been used against Germany. Granted that is speculation as well, but the BoB was one was much by German error as RAF success (no disrespect AT ALL intended towards Great Britain or the Few whom I hold in the highest regard).

I agree that the war would have been far more difficult without Great Britain in the fight.

you make it sound like you did all the work and we just bought you some time, if it wasn't for us WWII would have been one hell of allot worse.............

And that is what I said. But the fact is, America had a better chance of defeating Germany without Britain than Britain had of doing it without America if for no other reason than because of America's military muscle.

Anyway, the BoB only impacted a part of the war, namely the war in Europe. Britain surviving was in no way related to the victory in the Pacific and cannot, therefore, be called the ONE thing that won WWII. There was no ONE thing.

I'm not claiming that America won the war single-handed. And I could also observe that in your eyes we did nothing at all. But if you are going to try and select ONE thing that won WWII it has to be something that directly effected both the war in Europe and the Pacific. For that reason alone the vast majority of things that have been mentioned (Stalingrad, BoB, 101st Airborne, Midway, etc.) must be discounted since they only impacted one side or the other. The more I think about it, I think it is silly to argue that there was ONE thing. Somethings may have been more important than others, but nothing on its own made the difference. Cracking Enigma was huge, but it was nothing without planes and ships to hunt down the discovered U-boats. The BoB was important, but would have been relatively meaningless if Britain hadn't had the offensive power to strike back at Germany. I don't think you can simply point to one thing and say 'that was it.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back