What would be the best course of action to learn to fly? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As i dont have any ailments, like ADHD, I will probably pass th- OOOH what was that? wanna ride bikes? what was i saying? Oh yeah, I will probably pass the test, is it anything like a high school exam? I hate exams. You know what else I hate? Salsa. Oh yeah, flying, assuming I do pass the phys. and written test, whats the flying like in the lessons? Do you do a lot of the flying yourself or do you mostly watch the instructor? Also, what should I study to prepare for the written test?

If your not doing the flying your a passenger, not a student pilot. From your intro flight on you will be doing all the work... Perhaps a few minutes will be of the instructor demonstrating things, but other than that, you will be doing the flying. Generally speaking each lesson is broken into three phases: briefing, flight, de-briefing. Cockpits don't make good classrooms, so much of the new information will be introduced during the briefing covering concepts such as flight procedures, radio coms, aircraft performance, aeromedical factors, etc. Then you go out and apply what you learned on the ground. Finally, you finish with a thorough de-brief which will review all aspects of the flight (good, bad, and ugly), and usually wrap up with a review of what will happen next lesson and information you need to study as part of your ground school.

Chances are that you will be provided with a very detailed syllabus so that you know fully what to expect and how to pace your bookwork. Depending on your instructor if you don't keep up with the book work you will spend a lot more money with him/her teaching the stuff you can learn yourself with the provided study material. I've had some that just cancel the flight if I'm behind ball on the bookwork.

All your study material may be purchased as a kit, including a textbook or two, plus FAA written study guides with the entire question bank that the FAA may use. The written isn't too bad, especially considering the previous sentence I wrote. Once you get that done and have met all other requirements, you will have to take a check-ride which consists of two parts: oral exam, and practical test. The oral exam consists of the designated examiner asking you all sorts of questions which may include ANY topic within PPL certificate. He/she will look over your flight plan, aircraft/pilot documents, weather information, and anything else they may deem significant. May range from one hour up to five. Once that is done the real fun begins and you get to demonstrate that you're a safe and competent pilot by demonstrating all of the private pilot maneuvers. It may be comforting to know that as long as you're still going through the test you're passing. He/she will stop it when you've made a mistake and need to come back later.

Examiners may be intimidating but are generally pretty pleasant folks. The SE I had for my private pilot check ride was a former Sled Driver with some 400 hours above Mach 3. I kind of botched my short field landing demonstration on an 8,000 foot runway but since he knew I did almost all of my training out of a 1,700 foot strip gave me the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise, not too bad of an experience. Now the real nail biter was my instrument check ride. :)

Best of luck on your new endeavor. Keep us posted on how things work out.

Often the physical will pick up things you don't know about. I've seen it happen once, so it is a possibility, particularly around cardiovascular problems.

A good instructor will make you do as much of the flying as possible. I remember that I did the take-off on my first lesson (Not sure about the landing though), so you will definitely do most of the flying, the instructor will demonstrate the manueovre first, then get you to do one.

Relax about the written tests. You'll have to go through ground school first, which will prepare you for the exams.

As for purchasing an aircraft, depending on how much flying you plan on doing, it may work out cheaper to rent an aircraft by the hour.
Flyboy will know better, but I don't think syndicates (shared ownership) are very common in the US. They are fairly popular here, and bring some of the benefits of ownership, and the reduced costs of renting.

Shared ownerships/clubs are very common here and very affordable. A few of my friends are in shared ownerships and often fly fly air-to-air photo flights with them. I'm between teaching jobs right now but as soon as I've got a steady paycheck I plan to join one that offers a pair of Aeronca Champs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back