What Would Happen if an F-16 and an OV-10 had a real Dogfight? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

random flitting from a target below and close to the clutter would be hard to track and launch, it seems to my non-pilot thinking.
That's missile talk, irrelevant in a close-in knife fight like this one. Eyeballs, Gs, and trigger fingers. Probably more like a mugging than a true fight. If the OV10 had any air-to-air capable armament, he didn't seem to show any interest in going offensive. I think he was playing this as a game of "footsie" rather than a lethal fight.
I saw a piece of WWII battleship armor up at the GE test range that had received a one second + or - burst from a Vulcan at a range of several hundred yards. A roughly bowl shaped hole about one foot in diameter had been blasted out of the front surface, shrinking down to about a five inch penetration of the rear surface. The ground around was littered with steel spinters and shrapnel. Ball, AP, HE, and Incendiary rounds at the rate of 6,000/min defy the imagination. Probably only a fraction of the rounds in that brief burst hit the Bronco, but you saw the results.

Bronco's goose was cooked. From his behavior, I don't think he thought the F16 would actually shoot. Remember this was domestic politics. In other times they were probably on the same team. I bet he thought the F16 was harassing to drive him off target,
Remember during one of the numerous RVN coup attempts during the great nastiness, when Nguyen Cao Ky's Skyraiders set out to attack their own ARVN forces and the Saigon government? US aircraft were tasked with interfering with their bombing runs without killing anyone. A huge multi player game of chicken ensued with Phantoms and Crusaders playing "dodge 'em" with Skyraiders intent on bombing their own people.
History has a way of repeating itself, but this time I think one of the pilots wasn't sticking to the script.

Remember during one of the numerous RVN coup attempts during the great nastiness,
It was even worse than that. The USN was told to support one side and the USAF to support the other side, so you had two different kinds of jets up with the SPADs, all trying to get in each other's way. Must have been a hell of an airshow, but no one got shot down and there were not even any mid-airs.

It was even worse than that. The USN was told to support one side and the USAF to support the other side, so you had two different kinds of jets up with the SPADs, all trying to get in each other's way. Must have been a hell of an airshow, but no one got shot down and there were not even any mid-airs.
Wouldn't Airshow Stuff have a ball with that! Where's GoPro when we need him? I was shooting 8mm back then, and that was a non-starter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back