What's an original 48th Fighter (Pursuit) Squadron Patch Worth? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jun 2, 2020
The 48th Fighter Squadron, 14th Fighter Group received this Squadron patch just before they arrived in Algeria on November 15th 1942 to support the Allied landings that began on the 12th November. There and from Tunisia they took part in North African and Italian campaigns before transferring to the Triolo, Italy where they remained until the end of the war.

I've checked eBay and Worthpoint.com but can't find a recent auction price. Some original WWII patches are rare and may be worth hundreds to low thousands depending on numbers available which in this case would be very small.

Hoping someone who has this patch or has seen one sell recently can comment.

UAF 48th FS Patch 1943-PATCH-JStegeColectn-01_lo.jpg

UAF 48th FS Patch 1943-ART-JStegeColectn-01_lo.jpg

Thanks for any info.

Darryl for JEC

Last edited:
The 48th Fighter Squadron, 14th Fighter Group received this Squadron patch just before they arrived in Algeria on November 15th 1942 to support the Allied landings that began on the 12th November. There and from Tunisia they took part in North African and Italian campaigns before transferring to the Triolo, Italy where they remained until the end of the war.

I've checked eBay and Worthpoint.com but can't find a recent auction price. Some original WWII patches are rare and may be worth hundreds to low thousands depending on numbers available which in this case would be very small.

Hoping someone who has this patch or has seen one sell recently can comment.

View attachment 701253

View attachment 701254

Thanks for any info.

Darryl for JEC
Hello Darryl,

That is a fairly rare patch, but not a famous squadron. Based on condition I would say 300 to 450 as a range.

I am going to edit a bit, I just confirmed the patch was a Disney design so add about 300 to the estimate.

They bring a premium.

Hello Darryl,

That is a fairly rare patch, but not a famous squadron. Based on condition I would say 300 to 450 as a range.

I am going to edit a bit, I just confirmed the patch was a Disney design so add about 300 to the estimate.

They bring a premium.
Thanks Gary,

Yes, it is rare but as you say not that desirable in terms of it belonging to a well known fighter squadron.

I saw a B-29 20th Air Force $aipan patch sell for over $900 USD on eBay a couple of years ago. The owner of that one hit the jackpot.

20th AF Saipan B-29s Leather Shoulder Patch_ebay-1.jpg

JEC

Last edited:
Thanks Gary,

Yes, it is rare but as you say not that desirable in terms of it belonging to a well known fighter squadron.

I saw a B-29 20th Air Force $aipan patch sell for over $900 USD on eBay a couple of years ago. The owner of that one hit the jackpot.

View attachment 707368

JEC
Oh, that's nothing. I sold a grouping for a VMF-214 ACE named Jack Bolt. His patch alone was worth 3500.00.

I sold a grouping for a VMF-214 ACE named Jack Bolt. His patch alone was worth 3500.00.

Yes, if you have the money to purchase the rare patches it's pretty much the same as money in the bank. Even better, their value will grow at a much better rate than any bank deposit interest rate. In fact, far better dividends than shares or bitcoin (what a disappointment that was)

Instead of purchasing the Jeffrey Ethell Collection for big bucks, maybe I should have put the money into USAF squadron patches and memorabilia.

JEC

Yes, if you have the money to purchase the rare patches it's pretty much the same as money in the bank. Even better, their value will grow at a much better rate than any bank deposit interest rate. In fact, far better dividends than shares or bitcoin (what a disappointment that was)

Instead of purchasing the Jeffrey Ethell Collection for big bucks, maybe I should have put the money into USAF squadron patches and memorabilia.

JEC
Nah, never buy because you want to make money. Buy because you love what you buy.

I have many groupings that I bought because I knew the people. They aren't worth much to most collectors, but I treasure them anyway.

Exactly what I said when I paid USD$ 5 figures for the Jeffrey Ethell Collection in 2017. I knew I wouldn't make much money but at least I had preserved Jeff Ethell's Collection for the future. If I hadn't bought it the archive would have disappeared from the internet and that would be, to WWII aviations fans, a great loss.

Jeffrey Ethell Collection on Flickr

JEC

Exactly what I said when I paid USD$ 5 figures for the Jeffrey Ethell Collection in 2017. I knew I wouldn't make much money but at least I had preserved Jeff Ethell's Collection for the future. If I hadn't bought it the archive would have disappeared from the internet and that would be, to WWII aviations fans, a great loss.

Jeffrey Ethell Collection on Flickr

JEC

Yes sir! I have actually paid more than something was worth just to preserve it. There was one letter archive from a deceased Civil War soldier and the auctioneer was going to break it up into lots so I patiently bought every single one, and over paid by probably 500 bucks, just so it would stay together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back