What's going to happen to the T-38? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So in keeping with the thread, one of the first things they did at Sheppard to introduce a young airman to life as an aircraft mechanic, was to have you work on T-38's. What a great looking aircraft.

Lamenting the demise of -141's, I was a flying Crew Chief on one for 10 years, my experiences mirror that of yours, see above. I went to a lot of other places as well such as most of Central and South America. My -141 years were some of the best of my life.
You must have been flying out of Charleston. I was based at McGuire.

So in keeping with the thread, one of the first things they did at Sheppard to introduce a young airman to life as an aircraft mechanic, was to have you work on T-38's. What a great looking aircraft.

Lamenting the demise of -141's, I was a flying Crew Chief on one for 10 years, my experiences mirror that of yours, see above. I went to a lot of other places as well such as most of Central and South America. My -141 years were some of the best of my life.
delete

Loadmasters and Cg calculations are critical for safe operations of an aircraft, especially cargo type, and are as valued crewmembers as any other aboard. I seen crash reviews where Cgs were off and as soon as the aircraft rotated, they were dead.

One other location I forgot to mention, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba as co-pilot. Interesting and tricky approach.
As a mechanic, I obviously wasn't piloting so have a different perspective, but the three "interesting" approaches I recall were LaPaz Bolivia, Gibraltar, and McMurdo Antarctica. In a KC-10, taking off from Al Dhafra with 325k in fuel in 120* heat, 80% humidity got interesting as well.

I see T-38's doing touch and goes at Mather every once in awhile still today. What's interesting to me is they are painted black, giving a F-5 impression. I am used to the white scheme I saw at Sheppard.
I'm familiar with them being white, too, but with NASA insignias.

Back in the late 80's, I was a fleet manager for a rental car company and when the Astronauts would fly in from JSC, they'd land at Los Alamitos AAF and drive up to JPL Pasadena.
So instead of sending one of the drivers out to drop off (and later pick the car up), I'd do it myself.
I always made to get there a bit early, so I could hang out in Base Ops and catch them landing, then went down to meet them and give them the keys.

I had a great collection of autographed astronaut photos and memorabilia (like patches and a shuttle lapel pin) at one time, too.

BTW, they were sometimes accompanied by a C-5A, which was an awesome sight to see land/take-off from that short runway, too.

Currently, we get either the AF's black T-38s from Beale or the USN's dark blue T-38s from (I beleive) Moffett, doing occasional touch-n-goes here in Redding.
I don't think the Navy has anything at Moffett. I think those USN T-38s are out of Fallon and they might be F-5Bs

I don't think the Navy has anything at Moffett. I think those USN T-38s are out of Fallon and they might be F-5Bs
Could have been an F-5B (hard to tell the difference as they're hauling ass overhead). :lol:

BTW, we've been getting some of these doing practice at RDD, lately, too.

20220628_150620.jpg

Just had a T-38 from Beale AFB do a few touch-n-goes here this afternoon at Redding airport (RDD).

We regularly had them as transients at Carswell as trainees, or pilots meeting their monthly hours quota, would fly in to catch a Cowboys or Rangers game. I've always thought they are beautiful airplanes.

BTW, they were sometimes accompanied by a C-5A, which was an awesome sight to see land/take-off from that short runway, too.

They always had me worried when watching their final approach, they looked so slow I'd think they were going to stall out.

I joked with a fellow firefighter one time, "They don't fly in to land. They turn onto final and then the gravity of the airplane pulls the runway into it."

Last edited:
They always had me worried when watching their final approach, they looked so slow I'd think they wee going to stall out.

I joked with a fellow firefighter one time, "They don't fly in to land. They turn onto final and then the gravity of the airplane pulls the runway into it."
They might look slow but they're scorching, flying at 180 mph plus on final.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back