Whats more velnerable P-38 or P-47 in ground attack

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Way to many differant factors to pick a winner here P-38 and P-47 both served us well in this capacity. P-47 eight 50's that big radial in front a solid platform with out question . P-38 huge bomd load centered 50's and that 20 mill twin engine saftey reguardless of glycol . Many Pilots lived in both many pilots died in both final judgment we won the war......

In past threads I have offered the statistical view in context of 'number of aircraft destroyed on the ground per loss to flak/ground collision while strafing' for 8th AF in past threads. The P-38 had the worst record (in This Context) than the P-47 - about 2x. The P-51 had the best record (over P-47 and P-38 ) but I feel the P-47 was the more survivable airframe on the deck. Statistics are interesting but not necessarily definitive

Last edited by a moderator:
I would feel "safer" in the P-47, and I think the airframe / engine combo could sustain more damage and still get home. But the other aspect of ground-pounding that I am thinking about, is getting jumped by enemy fighters at low level. I would much rather be in a P-38 in that scenario.

FlyBoy, are you suggesting that radial engines are tougher than liquid cooled? Don't let Wuzak hear you!
I am, we beat that horse to death before. If we're talking a comparison of an R2800 to an Allison, YES.

Way to many differant factors to pick a winner here P-38 and P-47 both served us well in this capacity. P-47 eight 50's that big radial in front a solid platform with out question . P-38 huge bomd load centered 50's and that 20 mill twin engine saftey reguardless of glycol . Many Pilots lived in both many pilots died in both final judgment we won the war......

Hi Bob - where in Palndale do you live? I lived in the AV (Palmdale and Lancaster) for 14 years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back