Whats the deal with Soviet Wing design?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Why do not use sacrificial anodes in float planes?
The Mars Hawaii has "zincs" attached to the hull...I have photos I took of a couple of them when I went aboard the Mars several years ago, somewhere in my archives.

All the aluminum boats manufactured in this area also has "zincs" attached to the hull and interestingly enough, when I purchased a new fuel tank from Ford for my 1966 Mustang years ago, it came with zinc buttons that were loose in the tank.

4-wrs-marine.jpg

Galvanic protection is essential in any boat...

Why do not use sacrificial anodes in float planes?

that's a question for the manufacturer or the person responsible for the maintenance program.

Nothing to do with aircraft but on pipeline cathodic protection (with sacrificial anodes) they use an induced current. If you have anything further up the galvanic scale than zinc it becomes sacrificial, I suspect many aircraft alloys with magnesium would become very expensive anodes, as Flyboy says refer to the manufacturer and the approved maintenance programme.

I could be wrong here, but I think most floatplanes (as opposed to flying boats) flying today are mostly made of 2024-T3 Aluminum allowed with Copper.

Unless I'm way off base, Edo and most other float makers ... at least those that aren't fiberglass, are Aluminum. I'm sure someone in Europe and Asia makes float, but virtually all the floats I've seen are either of US or Canadian manufacture and made with 2024-T3. Some have some very nice heavy spray bars to help keep spray out of the prop arc, such as the spray bars on a Canadair CL-125, but I believe they are 2024-T3, too.

You can see the spray bars hanging down along the outer edge up around the cockpit area in this shot to keep spray away from the cockpit.

maxresdefault.jpg

I think in the pre-WWII era and immediately afterwards nobody really cared for long-term aluminium corrosion. First, because aluminium use in aircrafts was relatively new and corrosion problems not well known, but I suspect that the main factor was that designers and Air staff were aware that the life span of an aircraft was to be no more than three or four years at maximum before becoming obsolescent, and that of course just in the case the airplane surviving enemy bullets or bubba pilots.
I think that if someone would have said to Boeing designers that the flyable lifespan of a B52 could have been of ninety years they would have been quite astonished: so it is a miracle that airplanes built seventy years ago are still flyable today.

Last edited:
I finally realized I was hijacking this thread to discuss corrosion, and then the pulsejet and Zero, so I revived the "Planes of Fame Update" thread and started at post # 8 there.

Meanwhile, I like Russian wing design, corrosion or not these days. Their planes, while maybe not quite up to the best of standards in good weather, were flying in conditions that grounded German, British, and American planes. And if the Russians (actually Soviets) were flying while nobody else was, then the performance of their planes mattered very little. All that mattered was the performance of the flak guns and crews under attack, assuming they could get ready and fire at anything in a snowstorm that was frightful to the Germans and old hat to the Soviet pilots.

I finally realized I was hijacking this thread to discuss corrosion, and then the pulsejet and Zero, so I revived the "Planes of Fame Update" thread and started at post # 8 there.
Well, it was actually a good side-track, as the construction materials usually discussed at depth, are the wooden composites (DH Mosquito, He219, Ho229, et. al.).

Rarely is the different types of aluminum alloys used or developed during the war, as well as the forming process for various portions of the aircraft, discussed in detail...this subject would actually would make for a great and informative thread

I'll participate, and over in the Planes of Fame Update thread, I posted a pic of an extreme intergrannular corrosion example on an Aluminum spar from a Zero fighter. Some of my pics are showing up and some are links to the photo ... I don't know why. I have a 12 Mpixel camera and these are just standard photos from a digital camera.

The detail is pretty good though ...

Now, after two or three hours, I got a no-response from one of the links. Maybe my files are too big ... I don't know. I tried to show some progress and a museum update.

Last edited:
Well, it was actually a good side-track, as the construction materials usually discussed at depth, are the wooden composites (DH Mosquito, He219, Ho229, et. al.).

Rarely is the different types of aluminum alloys used or developed during the war, as well as the forming process for various portions of the aircraft, discussed in detail...this subject would actually would make for a great and informative thread

The He219 used wood? The Ta154 did.

I think that if someone would have said to Boeing designers that the flyable lifespan of a B52 could have been of ninety years they would have been quite astonished: so it is a miracle that airplanes built seventy years ago are still flyable today.

How much of the Buffs are the original plane though. I imagine over the years virtually all the major parts will have been renewed iirc the main spar was replaced or strengthened.

How much of the Buffs are the original plane though. I imagine over the years virtually all the major parts will have been renewed iirc the main spar was replaced or strengthened.

The B-52 (lake many aircraft in the USAF) go though a major rebuild (PDM) every several years. Tinker AFB is the B-52 is done.

Workers in B-52 PDM get a lift, new platforms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back