What's the oldest kit in your stash?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think the olddest kit I have in the stash is an Aurora Hiller X-18 -- last time I built one of these was in 1972. Or, might be the old Visible V-8, or the Airfix 1/72 TBM , last built around the same time, and the oldest built model still on hand...

Ed

That Frog Spitfire brings back memories - built about three, "in flight" in a formation hanging from the ceiling, and moulded my own canopies for them. I remember they didn't have wheel wells, just etched outlines, to be painted black if "wheels down " !

Maybe a silly question.

But do you ever think the value of these older kits will increase?
Collectors items?

Is it foolish to build them (enjoyment aside) when they could fetch a pretty penny one day?

Personally, I'll build anything I buy.
But just a thought as I guess there's a side to model kits other than builders.

There is a large market for "kit collectors", even for just the empty boxes.
Older, "vintage" kits can fetch silly prices where collectors are involved (similar, I guess, to stamp or art collectors), and even relatively new kits, currently temporarily withdrawn, but will be e-released in a couple of years, are sold for stupidly inflated prices.
It sometimes annoys me, if I need a particular kit for a commission build, for example, probably the only one of it;s type around, and then find that what's really worth, say £10 or £15, is advertised for four, five, six times that price, or more, on auction sites and second-hand kit dealers, due to its "collectability".
I want to build the bl**dy thing, not stick it in the attic !!!

I have around 1,500 boxed kits most in collector grade, dating from 1942. The oldest is a wooden block ( you have to carve the fuselage) kit based on the aircraft recognition models used by the ground forces. I've got some pretty rare US and British kits and a Russian attempt at a Spitfire from around 1960 with one of the worst examples of box art I have ever seen!

The oldest one I can think of offhand is a Frog Short Sealand. (Image found on line, mine is out in the garage)
P1100692.JPG

I have around 1,500 boxed kits most in collector grade, dating from 1942. The oldest is a wooden block ( you have to carve the fuselage) kit based on the aircraft recognition models used by the ground forces. I've got some pretty rare US and British kits and a Russian attempt at a Spitfire from around 1960 with one of the worst examples of box art I have ever seen!

That's a an impressive amount.
I imagine displaying them all in a viewable way is a challenge.

The wooden block kit sounds fun. Not least because as a child I've have had to of been let loose with a carving knife to make it.

Last edited:
Mine's this Aurora 707 Clipper, pretty sure it's the 1958 boxing with white text in English in the logo. The 1961 release didn't have the white text.
Stash around 1500 land, sea and air from WW1 - current.

Aurora 707 Clipper 1958.jpg

I have these. Probably a few more someplace incl. some Airfix bagged kits. An Airlines Percival Proctor, Monogram Avenger original boxing.
I remember exactly where and when I bought that Spitfire kit:

WOW! - Henschel 129 is 1966, Aurora D-VIII is 1959, as is the Frog Spitfire - The F-86D wins at 1956!

Maybe a silly question.

But do you ever think the value of these older kits will increase?
Collectors items?

Is it foolish to build them (enjoyment aside) when they could fetch a pretty penny one day?

Personally, I'll build anything I buy.
But just a thought as I guess there's a side to model kits other than builders.

Old stuff has its appeal to old(er) folks I think. Possibly a nostalgia thing. I'm very outdoorsy and vintage Karrimor and Berghaus rucksacks from the 70s and 80s are very much in demand (apparently there's a Karrimor rucksack collectors' club in Malaysia or something daft). I got hold of a mint condition Berghaus day sack from the very early years of the company for a fiver on ebay, so suspiciously new looking that I asked Berghaus if they had done some kind of reissue, but no they looked at my photos and confirmed it's the real deal. And I will never use it. ;)

Yep, one of their early (ish ) kits.
I well remember the bagged kits of that period. Every Saturday, off to Woolworths - turn right just inside the entrance, and there was the model counter, with the bagged Airfix kits on a 'peg board', at 2 Shillings each (10 Pence), and the larger, boxed kits below.
The 'Stuka' was one of the first I built back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back