When did you first become interested in Warbirds?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My interest sparked somewhere around 5th grade, I'm probably not as old as you all seeing as someone saw the valkyrie land, that would have been the coolest thing ever. 5th grade for me was around 1996-97 I guess? Just started reading up on anything and everything, WW2 birds were always my favorite. I live in Dallas so I never saw anything except an occasion P-3 or C-130 go by. If one did I could tell you what it was by the sound, I love seeing military planes go over. I'm glad to have found a forum to talk about these things.

At about 4 or 5 years old, someone bought me a GI Joe in fighter pilots garb. Next thing I knew I had a F9F (to put GI joe in) and was bombing the "Briges at Toki Ri" behind my house. By the time I was 15, I had about 150 models in my room.

Today my wife tells people if she wants to get me to do a chore around the house, she puts a propeller on what she needs done!

mosquitoman said:
150 models!!!
How'd you fit anything else in your room?

YEP -150! AFTER THAT MY FOLKS TOLD ME NO MORE! I started doing the normal thing one would do with excess models - lighting them on fire, putting firecrackers in them and blowing them up, throwing them off my roof, lighting them on fire, putting firecrackers in them and then throwing them at the neighbor, etc., etc., etc.

Les- glad to meet you, I was an AD2

Hi Fly, when I was a kid and we had too many models we used play a game where each throw of a dice starting at the back of the garden/yard you would move your model closer too the house one spot equaling 6 inches your opponant would sit by the back door with his air rifle and would take one shot then you would roll again. The winner would be (after taking it in turns with each others models and the rifle) the person whose plane got the closest to the ack ack and still had at least one wing on.

I LOVE IT - WE GOTTA PLAY SOMETIME

TRACK - I LIKE YOU, YOU'RE A SICK MAN!

You ever played pugh sticks Fly?
Where I lived as a boy the ground was very heavy clay so we used to dig up a lump sort of base ball size then knead it same as for potting clay. Next you found yourself a really whippy stick (willow was best ) about 2 -3 ft long then you mould a marble sized ball on the end of your pugh stick, with a bit of practice you could send your clay blob well over 100 yards. We used to divide into 2 teams and have battles wanging these balls of clay at each other it was great fun unless you got hit in the face, bloody hell did it sting, what started out as an inch across ended up about 3 inch's by the time it had splattered against you. it was even worse if the guy had left any little bits of gravel in it.
The best shot I ever did was when I launched my pugh and instead of going in a nice curved arc it went up like a mortar bomb and sailed way over my enemies head. A good 2 hundred yards away a guy was bent over doing his gardening in shorts and it went whack straight on his bare back. He must have chased me for a bleeding mile before he gave up, but it was a terrific shot you could hear him squawk even from that distance. (happy days )

Arn't all kids Skim, don't tell me you never used to fry insects with a magnifiying glass or pull the legs off of crane flys. I had a school mate who used to stick drinking straws up frogs arses and inflate them.

That reminds me of 'apple cricket'. Find the oldest, mushiest, maggoty old windfalls you can get your hands on - underarm chuck, and slosh it one with an old cricket bat!

Hours of fun!

Sup to all the newbs....... Sorry I havent been round of late.... Not much spare time, although its slowin down some now........ Hoo Yah.

Skim...... Its best described as Quasi-Legal I suppose... But it sure is fun....

Sup CC.... Things ok in Cornish? Is it true that Camilla is the Duchess of Cornish?

trackend said:
Arn't all kids Skim, don't tell me you never used to fry insects with a magnifiying glass or pull the legs off of crane flys. I had a school mate who used to stick drinking straws up frogs arses and inflate them.
I'd never hurt an innocent frog!
Spiders are another matter, however.

Things are never ok in Cornwall...Yeah its true. I couldnt care less to be honest though.

Users who are viewing this thread