When did you first become interested in Warbirds? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Medvedya

Master Sergeant
Nov 9, 2004
Bristol, UK
By request, everyone is invited to say what it was that first sparked their interest and enthusiasm for this subject - maybe though a relative, or proximity to a base, or even just randomly, tell us about it here!

I've been interested in warbirds, both modern and vintage, for as long as I can remember. I think it started with my father, who has always had a keen interest in them also. We'd go to air shows and aviation museums whenever the opportunity presented itself. I still do, though dad can't get around like he used to. Shame.
Then there were the stories of my grandfather in the RCAF during the war. Only quite recently has he become more open about his experiences, with me.

Yeah, I've always been quite interested in the subject. (I guess that's why I joined the Navy! :rolleyes: Logical, no? :lol: )

I don't know when it began actually. When I was 2, we moved to Dayton Ohio and I watched everything that went by in the sky. One of my earliest recollections was my father taking me to see the XB-70 Valyrie land for the last time at Wright Patterson. I spent alot of time at the museum there while I was growing up. I also visited Carrollon Park there, where the Wright brothers bicycle shop is. We later moved to Wisconsin and I visited the EAA there many times and went too the fly-in at Osh Kosh a number of times as a teenager.

I built alot of airplane models over the years, as I am sure we all did. I joined the Air Force right out of high school. I wanted to join the Army to fly helicopters, but my vision wasn't good enough. I didn't want to be cannon fodder, so I joined the Air Force.

I was a "groupie" at the CAF for a number of years until about 4 years ago when my wife surprised me early for my birthday with a membership to the CAF. I've been volunteering there ever since and it has been wonderful! It is fun to have a passion like that and to belong to an organization that shares that passion is awesome. The things you see and the stories you hear are worth way more than the memberships dues cost every year.

I have been very fortunate to have seen and done everything that I have so far. Someday, I want to purchase a ride on a B-17. I am still waiting for my slot on the SNJ to open up so I can go up in that. Be warned, pictures will surely follow that!

Several things molded my intrest in WWII Aviation... The main things were my Grandfather, who flew Corsairs with VMF-122, -112, and -214, and the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC...

My Grandfather was an inspiration, and a funny guy... Told alot of stories... Took me to alot of places.... My Dad also was a pilot also, and I went flying with him and Grandpa twice a month...

The first time I went to the Air and Space Museum, I was hooked.... Hearing the stories, meeting the pilots, and reading some books doesnt make it all click together until u actually can touch the planes.....

Then the Hook sets....

I began drawing WWII fighters when i was around 10 or so, and have now become pretty good at drawing them, as some here who have seen my work will attest....

When...well...I don't know...

My parents took me to my first airshow when I was about 5 or 6, we stayed and saw the whole show but the only part I really liked was the B-17s and B-25. Then I started watching all the WW2 documentaries and movies I could find and have been obsessed ever since.

evangilder said:
I don't know when it began actually. When I was 2, we moved to Dayton Ohio and I watched everything that went by in the sky. One of my earliest recollections was my father taking me to see the XB-70 Valyrie land for the last time at Wright Patterson. I spent alot of time at the museum there while I was growing up. I also visited Carrollon Park there, where the Wright brothers bicycle shop is. We later moved to Wisconsin and I visited the EAA there many times and went too the fly-in at Osh Kosh a number of times as a teenager.

I built alot of airplane models over the years, as I am sure we all did. I joined the Air Force right out of high school. I wanted to join the Army to fly helicopters, but my vision wasn't good enough. I didn't want to be cannon fodder, so I joined the Air Force.

I was a "groupie" at the CAF for a number of years until about 4 years ago when my wife surprised me early for my birthday with a membership to the CAF. I've been volunteering there ever since and it has been wonderful! It is fun to have a passion like that and to belong to an organization that shares that passion is awesome. The things you see and the stories you hear are worth way more than the memberships dues cost every year.

I have been very fortunate to have seen and done everything that I have so far. Someday, I want to purchase a ride on a B-17. I am still waiting for my slot on the SNJ to open up so I can go up in that. Be warned, pictures will surely follow that!

The group at Chino can set up rides for good prices - they fly a lot and many times just a contribution for gas will get a ride. It was possible for a ride in a B-25 for as little as $300. The museam at Santa Monica also sells rides the TF-51 was $1,050 last I saw (several years ago).

I've been interested since I was old enough to see an airplane - my dad was Air Force - so that was young. I've been to air showes since I was 6mo. old. When I started working I was in construction management (big bridges and the like) I was able to both travel and visit many museams from Hartford, Conn. to Southern Cal. Including the SAC, the Dayton and the Smithsonium museams. If there was an airplane I found it. So. Cal was great airshows and museams all over Rialto, Chino, Santa Monica, Camarillo, March AFB, El Toro marine base, Edwards AFB, Long Beach, Ventura and a couple of others I can't place right now.

Cool, have you seen the museum where I volunteer in Camarillo? If it has been a few years, it has changed alot. We used to have a nose hangar and a small trailer for a museum. We now have 2 full hangars.

I know about the Chino rides. I am specifically interested in the B-17, but would probably take a crack at the B-25 (my cousin flew in the Doolittle Raid.). I am planning to go out to see the Planes of Fame Museum and Yanks Air Museum, both in Chino, next week.

By the way, Santa Monica closed a little over a year ago. They will reopen, but it will be much smaller.

I have enjoyed reading all of the above.... keep um coming.
I have loved planes since I was young, it was my mum that got me interested, she use to make parts for the 'Lancaster MK1' during the war , she also told many stories of the Lancs and other planes, she was an excellent story teller.

Just like many others have said, I too love going to air shows and/or the odd fly pass ( we seem to get a fair few of those in this country).
After both my parents passed away, I got started on tracing my family tree and realised that there had been quite a number in the family who fought in WW2, I became just as interested in WW2 again asI did tracing the family tree. I am just drawn to 'warbirds' I think they are a work of art in every way, shape and form. But the Lancaster will always be my favourite and a tad special to me.

Well Les and Lancs....... where can I see these drawings then?

Here are a few....

Attachments

• 0dans_251.jpg
    0dans_251.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,920
  • 00000dans_180.jpg
    00000dans_180.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,926
  • 0000dans_479.jpg
    0000dans_479.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,953
  • 00dans_141.jpg
    00dans_141.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,959
  • 0010dans_842.jpg
    0010dans_842.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,974
  • 000dans_130.jpg
    000dans_130.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,966
hey Les I was very tempted to say did you do those in therapy ;) just to keep up our banter, but hey it's Christmas :lol:
Not too shabby ( in the now famous words of 'The Nonskimmer')
My son is an artist, I couldn't draw to save my life..... though I might do one over the festive season.... just to give you a laugh :lol:

Hey it is 20:20 here ( unlike my vision....3rd Baileys) only a few hours to pressie time.... woohoo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back