When did you first become interested in Warbirds?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey new here :)
I first took a little interest in Warbirds years ago back at school while doing a project on the battle of Britain lol. But i didnt really became that interested until i saw a few of them for real for the first time flying at a free airshow over Southampton Water where i live. From that day i was hooked and even went out and got my first ever airfix model the very next day :shock:

When I was about 8 yrs old my dad, (Who was an artilleryman in WW2in Europe) told me that the term Luftwaffe meant Germany's airforce. I was enthralled! He told me about B-17's etc
I read all about the Flying Tigers,etc I also saw my first WW2 airwar movie
"God is my co-pilot" I was absolutely crazy about it!
My favorite plane became the B17 I also read the Comic book series "Johnny
Cloud Navajo Ace" Looking back, It's kind've amusing how the German pilots were portrayed as evil nazis and how Johnny cloud often shot down FW's and
109's with his pistol It was a fun time!:p

My father served in WWII in the ETO as an aircraft mechanic. My mother says he was a flight engineer but he mustered out as a corporal – there's maybe a story there. He came home with an arm load of aircraft maintenance manuals. I read the one for the P-51 until the pages fell out. But what hooked me first were the aircraft identification manuals he brought back.

My father passed away when I was nine so I never got to discuss with him his doings in the war. I do remember asking one day what he learned from the war and his reply was, "Never volunteer for anything."

I first became interested in warbirds when my dad managed to 'persuade' a friend to give me a ride in his refurbished Me-262. Ever since then, I have loved warbirds and their clean lines and unmatched grace.

I first became interested in warbirds when my dad managed to 'persuade' a friend to give me a ride in his refurbished Me-262. Ever since then, I have loved warbirds and their clean lines and unmatched grace.
What a treat that would be.

Which "refurbished" Me 262 would this be? When?

There are only 2 flyable Me 262s and they are reproductions built by Legend Flyers. They did not fly for the first time until recently...

One of them is located here in Germany, the other in the United States. They are of course building more at the moment.

So please fill us in which aircraft you flew in...

Which "refurbished" Me 262 would this be? When?

There are only 2 flyable Me 262s and they are reproductions built by Legend Flyers. They did not fly for the first time until recently...

One of them is located here in Germany, the other in the United States. They are of course building more at the moment.

So please fill us in which aircraft you flew in...
I saw him Chris when I was flying in formation with them in my Arado 234

It'd be real funny if he proves you guys wrong.....lol

Highly doubt it, since there are only two flying and they are not "refurbished". They are reproductions. One based here in Germany and one in the United States. One is a two seater and one is convertable between a two seater and one seat varient.

They are currently building more however. There are to be 5 built all together.

Since they only started taking up people for joy rides late last year or early this year, I seriously doubt it...

Here is the web page for the team that has been building them. They are also restoring original Me 262s for static displays in museums and building reproduction static display. Only 5 will be built for flight however.

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html

When I was 8-9 yrs old I would doodle WWII fighter planes on my books. I guess this is when I first became interested in warbirds. Later when I was older and read more into Canadians in WWII, I discovered how many perished in Lancasters bombers, even when they knew how bad the odds were for a successful return. makes me proud.

No, you're wrong-my dad's friend has a -262 that he rebuilt in his spare time. His father had brought it home after the war (don't ask me how, 'cause I don't know) and kept it in the barn. He let it rot until he asked his son to rebuild it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back