Where do you get your model kits from?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

carter sAuer

Recruit
Nov 27, 2016
I usually buy my kits from a local store in my city, and although they are good, I need more variety. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have a 4hr round trip to a hobby store with limited selection in kits and supplies so I look online. Right now I'm in a dry spell because of the weak Canadian dollar. I almost always use eBay. For whatever reason, shipping prices from the U.S. are crazy high to Canada, even when the dollar was strong so I stick to Asia (S. Korea usually has free shipping) and Europe

The LHS in my town was closed a couple of years ago. However there are other ones in nearby cities that offer a good selection of kits. I know the three owners personally But because of my laziness I order what I need using the net. Just click and voila. Fortuantely all of these shops run the on-line trading and I don't need to trip there in order to buy something although I travel there from time to time just to talk. Also I'm in touch with a couple of other shops that are located farther from my city. If they have what I need just I phone there and order. To be honest I prefer that way of getting contact.

Last edited:
For kits, mostly through the Internet, 9 times out of 10, their prices can't be beat. Though some items are more cost effective to buy at the LHS. Supplies, paint and brass to name a few...

I am fortunate in that I have 3 LHS counting Hobby Lobby close by, but I still shop eBay and Amazon a lot for kits, you can often get better deals online. Just pay careful attention to the shipping costs, as pointed out above often it can be cheaper or free from some countries. Even if the kit costs a bit more it the shipping is free it is usually worth it.

My local hobby shop, Scale Reproductions, Inc., in Louisville, KY has the most complete plastic model department I've ever seen. Brian Bunger, the proprietor, is a plastic modeler himself, and hired his old friend Marty to manage the plastic department. Marty has done a masterful job of stocking and supporting the department and it is first class. Every new kit that's reviewed in Fine Scale Modeler is in the shop at the same time. If I wasn't building my monster railroad, I would be buying lots and lots of plastic kits from them. They also have fully equipped, RC, HO/N trains, and slot car departments. It's a treasure since almost everywhere, good full-line hobby shops are going out of business.

For Internet, I've just started buying at Sprue Brothers and am impressed with what they have in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back