Which countries would you like to see... (1 Viewer)

What country would you like to see aces from?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There are not alot of people that know alot about aces.A little-known segment of World War II history, featuring expatriate Polish pilots flying in the Battle of Britain after the fall of their country in 1939.Treated with disdain at first by their Allied partners, the pilots quickly became legendary for their fearless aerial exploits throughout the war. The Kosciuszko Squadron is credited with shooting down 126 German planes in six weeks of combat, more "kills" than were credited to any other squadron attached to the RAF during that same period. Nine of the Kosciuszko Squadron pilots become aces, and five were awarded the RAF's Distinguished Flying Cross.
Question of Honor - The Kosciuszko Squadron: Forgotten Heroes of World War II by Lynne Olson and Stanley Cloud

I must dispute that statement im afraid mossi howabout Kohima or mt Suribachi I think all nations have their moments don,t you?
As for which aces I think Russia as most of the other nations seem to be better documented.

Yes, and you don't think the British fought with complete ferocity when defending their home land? Kind of disrespectful of your own nation there.

And the Poles took Monte Cassino after the Fallschirmjager had been battered, and then swamped with Polaks. You should look at the feat of the 1st/4th Essex and the Gurhkas at Monte Cassino.

Buddy you missed the point............
Average person in United States doesn't even know that there were any Polish fighters at the Battle of Britain. I just learned from the book that I'm reading (that I mentioned before) that almost 30,000 Polish pilots and flight personals were fighting in Britain during the WW II.
It's never going to be enough to thank them for that. Because they fought for us too. After WW II a lot of people were trying to forget about them. Well, they succeeded at least in USA. Anyways, were always supposed to remember what they did for us.

Attachments

• polish_spitfiree.jpg
    polish_spitfiree.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 741
I'll allow it, for the US point. The people who know about WW2 here in Britain know about the Polish flying for them in the BoB and the Polish fighting on the ground. Hell, the Polish helped in the Operation Market Garden to pull the lads out of Arnhem!

Other than that, most people don't even know about WW2 itself. :lol:

Many Poles stayed in the UK after the end of hostilities some because of the political situation in their homeland ,some because they fought on the axis side and had been taken POW (going home was not an option for them as they feared reprisals) and some got married and decided to stay in the UK.
I use to work with quite a few polish veterans in my industry (railways) as it was a popular choice for them after de-mob, I heard some interesting tales but only from the allied veterans (one fella was in a calvary unit at the outbreak of hostility's).
Every time any of the Poles where on the same shift together and they fought on different sides it was a pain in the arse (nearly always ended in a punch up).
And even though they weren't in the flush of youth some of them were tough old buggers and I've been on the receiving end of a few good right handers trying to part them. For myself I can say hand on heart I know (perhaps not first, but second hand) what quite a few Poles did for the allies.

To damn right im not, has your average person been 6 foot 3 since they were about 12? Does the average person have 2 different coloured eyes, one of which changes colour? Does the average person learn how to drive a car when they are 11? Does your average person have a - no perhaps I shouldnt go there ;) :lol:

I have always been interested by the insanities of war, some examples.

An Italian POW jumping into a river in flood to save an english boy dying in the attempt.

An englishman awarded a VC while in a POW camp was feted by the Commandant who insisted that the guards had to salute the man.

U-boats / subs surfacing to pick up the men whose ships they had just torpedoed.

German medical staff moving heaven and earth to save a Russian pow...

and the list goes on....

Kiwimac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back