Shortround - you have a severe reading comprehension problem... what is it about my thread of instances of internal gun firepower that you do not comprehend?.
Are we trading insults now?
I apologize for my remark about studing aircraft. As we get older our memory sometimes slips and in some cases (mine especially) our typing skills are not what they should be.
By the way My first airplane books were by William Green and I got some of them almost 40 years ago. They may very well be out of date now.
The illustration of MiG to F-86 and FJ4 was all about internal guns and 'light/cheap' capabilites of the lighter/cheaper fighter in comparison.
OK, my lack of reading comprehension kicks in here, We are comparing, from the Mig to the Fury, planes of almost different generations. Planes that were designed for rather different purposes and planes that when tasked with same mission still had rather different capabilities as far as endurance goes.
This is supposed to prove what about the load carring ability of WW II piston engine fighters? And by load carring ability I mean the internal guns, ammo, mounts, ammo boxes, gun heaters, etc.
Ditto the F-16 vs the F-15 vs the F-14 vs the F-105. The 'Light/cheap' fighter had the same internal gun firepower.
Sorry, you still have me totally baffled by this comparison. Since I am not the one who introduced it I find it strange that I am accused of going down rat holes when I explore it. So far your attempt to explain it just isn't working. THe WW II fighters we were discusing used guns, either internal or external as their sole air to air armament. Comparing weight of the gun instalation or weight of fire is a vailid comparison tool. 3 of the 4 jets mentioned above use missiles as part of their air to air armament as designed. Discounting the missiles and their widely varing capability and claiming the light fighter (OK maybe not claiming but implying?) that the Light fighter carried equel air to air armament doesn't seem like a very valid comparison. It might even be a bit less valid if the F-16 turns out to carry 1/2 of the ammuntion that one of the other planes does. What is the weight of 500 rounds of 20mm ammo and the weight of the larger ammo drum ? How many cubic ft of space does occupy?
Or is this going down a rat hole again?
Ditto the Me 109K compared to Mustang (or Spit compared to P-47/P-38.
I didn't, and no one else did, bring up the discussion regarding external firepower which by any standard the 109G6/U4 etc had in spades.
OK, you lost me again. Maybe it is my old out of date books but the to me the designation "109G6/U4" has got nothing to do with extrenal armament. AS for me bringing in the external armament I didn't want anybody to think I was unfair in leaving it out.
Nobody but you dwells on the multi role missions and dives into ratholes to compare different gen a/c.
I really do think this is a bit unfair since I am not the one who brought the jets into the discussion and therefor I am not the one who brought in the different gen a/c. in your F-105 vrs F-16 comparison. If, by pointing out the differences in generations, it makes your comparison even less valid, too bad.
While I did start with mentioning the multi mission, in some of the last posts in the "Jet rat hole line" I tried to stay specificly to the air to air mission and yet I am still critisized for dwelling on the multi role. You are the one who re-introuduced the multi-role in post number #166, if by responding to your post I am "dwelling" on it I guess I stand rebuked.
What started this was your claim that you needed big/complex/high powered a/c to have big firepower - You are wrong.
You are of course correct on this, but the following conditions may apply
Newer aircraft with engines of better power to weight ratios may allow the carriage of heavier armanent.
Comparisons between guns of differrent gun power to weight ratios may change results.
Trading fuel and endurance for gun/armament weight may allow for the carriage of heavier armament.
trading ammuntion capacity for more gun weight allows for a heavier throw weight although for a shorter time period.
There are probably others.