Which fighters were "thick skinned?"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They were usually painted over. Most existing units have them repainted to prevent mishaps.

Both the Spitfire and the FW have an area near the wing root where its okay to step.

one of the men painting the wing of "just jane" (the lanc than can taxi under it's own power) had just finished painting something on the wing before stepping back to admire his work and walking off the back of the wing :lol:

your flying lanc, FM213, has 4 passenger seats bolted into the back, with no windows to look out of whilst in the seats............

the bomb bay floor could take 14,000lbs of weight yet they still had to do a servey of it to see if it could take the weight of four seats plus passengers............

that gloss would never have been used...........

and few of the fittings in your lanc are originals...........

but it wouldn't have been used in WWII..........

and yes, most of out fittings are original, our's is a military aircraft and so doesn't go through the same checks as civilian aircraft..........

the lancaster kicks ass said:
but it wouldn't have been used in WWII..........
Wanna bet? Better check it out.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
....and yes, most of out fittings are original, our's is a military aircraft and so doesn't go through the same checks as civilian aircraft..........
What exactly are you referring to by "fittings"?

RG_Lunatic said:
You can see the footstep area on the FW wings Soren! Its the area just behind and inside the cannon bulge.

On that Spitfire, it's probably a plane going out of service, and besides that the fronts of the wings are strong enough for guys to sit on if they got up their without standing on the mid part of the wing shows nothing. Crawling or scooting up off a cart is not standing. The guys standing on the wing are standing on the wingroot area where it's okay.

What's the 109 pic supposed to show?

RG there are NO painted areas on any of the a/c's wings in the pictures I presented ! (Thats includes the 190)

fw190.gif

There are no marked areas.

I can see no markings on those planes. But the area where a person could step is very clear. On the Sptifire its the inner wing root panel, and its even deliniated by a sheetmetal line. On the FW, its less apparant but its behind and inside of the MG151 bulge.

FLYBOYJ said:
Some of the ones on a C-130 are there so you won't fall off the bloody thing!

Yes those sand-paper like areas are also on alot of "Modern" Spits.

RG_Lunatic said:
I can see no markings on those planes. But the area where a person could step is very clear. On the Sptifire its the inner wing root panel, and its even deliniated by a sheetmetal line. On the FW, its less apparant but its behind and inside of the MG151 bulge.

RG that simply just isnt true.

Both the Spit and 109's wings could be walked on without sustaining ANY damage AT ALL ! And I have no clue who gave you your current idea about the Spit and 109's wings.

rsdrummondii.jpg

Soren said:
RG_Lunatic said:

RG that simply just isnt true.

Both the Spit and 109's wings could be walked on without sustaining ANY damage AT ALL ! And I have no clue who gave you your current idea about the Spit and 109's wings.

rsdrummondii.jpg

I was told this by a live Spitfire pilot just before I climbed up and got into the cockpit at an airshow.

And look at the pic you've posted... NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE ARE STANDING ON THE WING! All of them are being careful to distribute their weight so as not to damage it. And what do you see them wearing on their feet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back