Which fighters were "thick skinned?"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RG_Lunatic said:
I was told this by a live Spitfire pilot just before I climbed up and got into the cockpit at an airshow.

RG I was told the same by some aircraft mechanics working on one, but this was only on old conserved Spit's, as the owners would like them to stay this way ! There was no risk for damage as long as you didnt start jumping on the wing (Wich most probably wont do ;) )

And look at the pic you've posted... NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE ARE STANDING ON THE WING! All of them are being careful to distribute their weight so as not to damage it.

:rolleyes:

RG offcourse their not standing on the wing, why would they ? The wing is slanted and theres nothing to hold onto out there, so standing up would be very difficult and the risk of falling great. Also why strain yourself by standing up when you can lie down and do the work ? ;)

And what do you see them wearing on their feet?

Three of them clearly wear shoes.

There is film of P-47 crews walking on the wing in boots. You could not do this on a P-51, Spitfire, or FW.

On that picture of the Spitfire armorer's, clearly the two on the left are barefoot, the next one over we cannot tell, the next one appears to be wearing tennis shoes or something similar but this might be a trick of the light, and the one on the far right is barefoot.

RG_Lunatic said:
There is film of P-47 crews walking on the wing in boots. You could not do this on a P-51, Spitfire, or FW.

I've seen P-51s at Mojave and their wings are quite robust - now in todays terms I wouldn't recommend doing that to an airplane worth almost a million bucks!

For the most part, you could probably get away walking on the wing of any metal WWII aircraft as long as you walk along the spar area and don't jump on the bloody thing! :grab:

RG_Lunatic said:

Who in gods name told you this rubbish ?

On that picture of the Spitfire armorer's, clearly the two on the left are barefoot, the next one over we cannot tell, the next one appears to be wearing tennis shoes or something similar but this might be a trick of the light, and the one on the far right is barefoot.

The two on the right "look like" they are barefoot, and the one next to them is sitting on his knees and we can't see his feet. The two on the right are clearly wearing shoes !

Btw whats with the "Tennis shoes in WW2" ? ;)

RG_Lunatic said:
Soren said:
RG_Lunatic said:
I can see no markings on those planes. But the area where a person could step is very clear. On the Sptifire its the inner wing root panel, and its even deliniated by a sheetmetal line. On the FW, its less apparant but its behind and inside of the MG151 bulge.

RG that simply just isnt true.

Both the Spit and 109's wings could be walked on without sustaining ANY damage AT ALL ! And I have no clue who gave you your current idea about the Spit and 109's wings.

rsdrummondii.jpg

I was told this by a live Spitfire pilot just before I climbed up and got into the cockpit at an airshow.

And look at the pic you've posted... NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE ARE STANDING ON THE WING! All of them are being careful to distribute their weight so as not to damage it. And what do you see them wearing on their feet?

Folks I think I could tell you that during the war years the ground crews (especially the armourers) were careful not to step on weak areas of a fighters wings which were usually the upper surfaces of the flap bays and the ailerons, especially if they were fabric. The one thing those guys wanted to do was to get the aircraft armed and fueled ASAP and move on the the next aircraft, if they caused some scraped paint or a little dent, so be it!

If you walked or jumped on one of those "weak" areas are you going to hurt the airplane? - probably not, at least not right away.

I worked around a lot of post WWII jets (F-86, T-33, L-29 39) and although these aircraft are a little more robust than most of your typical WWII aircraft, as a maintainer you develop a "plan" on how to get up on the surfaces of the plane without hurting it. You'll see guys jump up on a wing"Butt first" on the leading edge and slide themselves on to the stronger portion of the wings so the aircraft could be fueled or fixed. If the aircraft was totally restored, I would wear "footies" (canvas socks), or no shoes, but this is more the exception than the rule.

Over all, two or 3 guys standing on the wing of a spitfire or 190 shouldn't hurt it if the ground crew was careful. During the war years, unless the ground crew put their foot though the wing, they weren't going to care about small dents and scratches, after all depending on the theater and timeframe during the war, chances are the aircraft they were working on wasn't coming back! I think once in flight during a combat situation, that aircraft was going to see a lot more abuse!

The P-51's wings were very fragile when it comes to thier aerodynamic properties. They were only expected to exhibit laminar flow properties through about the first 50 hours of flight time. Great care not to distort the surface was recommended.

Flyboy, my point is that the P-47 required no special care. They would have a man out on the wing, way out about 6 feet from the tip, to direct the plane into position to takeoff. When it was time for him to jump down, he'd stand up and trot over to the back of the wing root and slide off. And they were in combat boots. The P-47 is said to have had "double thick" skinning, though I've not been able to specifically confirm that it was indeed twice as thick as other US fighters. I suspect it was noticably thicker, but not twice as thick.

I think if you can nab the full version of the P-47 "in color" film you will see the flight crews doing what I've noted above.

=S=

Lunatic

RG_Lunatic said:
The P-51's wings were very fragile when it comes to thier aerodynamic properties. They were only expected to exhibit laminar flow properties through about the first 50 hours of flight time. Great care not to distort the surface was recommended.

Flyboy, my point is that the P-47 required no special care. They would have a man out on the wing, way out about 6 feet from the tip, to direct the plane into position to takeoff. When it was time for him to jump down, he'd stand up and trot over to the back of the wing root and slide off. And they were in combat boots. The P-47 is said to have had "double thick" skinning, though I've not been able to specifically confirm that it was indeed twice as thick as other US fighters. I suspect it was noticably thicker, but not twice as thick.

I think if you can nab the full version of the P-47 "in color" film you will see the flight crews doing what I've noted above.

=S=

Lunatic

Yes - I totally understand what you're saying. With the Mustang as you said with its laminar wing, I'm sure when it first entered service this was closely watched, but say by Korea, the ground pounders were probably stomping all over those wings! Sometimes maitainers are their own worse enemys! :banghead:

By Korea none of the P-51's had any laminar flow at all. Under perfect condtions the characteristic could last as much as 200 flight hours, but 50 was the reasonable expectation, and many did not hold it even that long. Since the life expectancy of a fighter in combat was 20-30 hours, it was not considered an issue.

=S=

Lunatic

And I repeat: Both the Spit, 109 and 190's wings could be walked on (Boots or not) without sustaining ANY damage AT ALL !

Attachments

• a8r722_599.jpg
    a8r722_599.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 401
  • mun_105.jpg
    mun_105.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 412
  • mun2_137.jpg
    mun2_137.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 402
  • g302108_108.jpg
    g302108_108.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 369
Soren said:
And I repeat: Both the Spit, 109 and 190's wings could be walked on (Boots or not) without sustaining ANY damage AT ALL !

One picture of a guy on a spit wing, carefully posed with his weight upon the spar, is not "proof". All the FW photos are totally irrelevant, the person standing is right at the wing root, or is quite near the root and we cannot see his feet, or in the last pic he's either sitting or kneeling on the wing or he's actually on a ladder or something on the far side of the wing.

RG_Lunatic said:
One picture of a guy on a spit wing, carefully posed with his weight upon the spar, is not "proof".

:rolleyes:

RG_Lunatic said:
All the FW photos are totally irrelevant, the person standing is right at the wing root, or is quite near the root and we cannot see his feet, or in the last pic he's either sitting or kneeling on the wing or he's actually on a ladder or something on the far side of the wing.

Ladder ??!!! You must be blind !!

Oh really? Well, I am pretty sure it is you who is "blind". Take a good look Soren:

spitfire_man_on_wing_195.jpg

On first glance, it appears the man is sitting on the wing facing away from the camera. But on closer inspection, it appears he is facing the camera, and leaning on the wing while standing or maybe even sitting on some kind of support that is located on the far side of the wing blocked from our view.

But the point is he is clearly not standing on the wing, so it does not really matter.

RG it is clearly you who is the blind one, and especially because you don't even see it when enlarged !

Attachments

• spitfire_man_on_wing_1952_196.jpg
    spitfire_man_on_wing_1952_196.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 334
:lol: OK guys - next week I'm going to be in California, at Mojave airport and at Gillespie Airfield for an airshow (Apr. 28-May 1). Both places are a warbird environment rich. There will definitely be a Mustang at at least one these places, maybe a Spit, possibly a P-47. Because I'll be an airshow participant, I should be able to get a real close look at these aircraft, providing they are all there. I'll take pictures and let you know what I find out. :rolleyes:

=FBJ=

Soren said:
RG it is clearly you who is the blind one, and especially because you don't even see it when enlarged !

Soren, do you notice that there is a head right in the middle of the red circle you've drawn and marked "leg" ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back