Which fighters were "thick skinned?"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder said:
I wouldn't do that for mainly safety reasons. That's a dangerous exercise that I hope young impressionable aviation buffs don't get the idea of doing. Safety should be the number 1 concern, especially with old warbirds.

We don't have any German planes in our museum, but we do have a zero and a spitfire. There are zones very clearly marked on the zero where you are not to step, else your foot may go through. There are not zones like that on the spitfire, but everyone knows that you don't step on flaps or control surfaces. Most guys will walk where the supports are so as to preserve the aircraft as long as possible. Could any part of the wing be walked on? Most likely, but doing that in our hangar is likely to get you a serious ass-whooping. But these are 60+ year old airplanes that have few cheap spare parts. These airplanes are treated better than some peoples kids!

I fully agree. Stepping on any of the control surfaces is not allowed on any WW2 era aircraft, but generally the other areas can easely be walked on.

Come back! I'm not done fighting!

HolyGrail020.jpg

OK guys - I'll be at the GILLESPIE airshow April 28 through May 1. The following WWII fighter aircraft are scheduled to be there;

FM-2, P-51, F4U, F6F, P-51, F8F, A6M3

If I get my hands on a micrometer I'm going to measure the skin on these things and report back!

Excellent! Also measure the distance between the rivit lines.

You live in the San Diego area Flyboy? I grew up there and lived there most of my life (except when jobs took me elsewhere for up to 3 years at a time). We just moved from San Diego (Bonita actually) about a year ago.

Try to get there early, once the main guys leave the planes the idiots on patrol won't let you near enough to take measurements.

BTW: you can get an inside/outside calipers (get the metal one) for a few bucks at Harbor frieght tools (one in Chula Vista on L street just East of I5, another in El Cajon) - great place to buy cheap tools (which I only recommend if you only expect to use them infrequently) and a number of other items. Inside/outside calipers should give a good enough measurement if you cannot do a micrometer.

=S=

Lunatic

If you can get to Camarillo, I can talk to the crew chiefs of the F6F, F8F and the Zero to see if they would let you take a measurment. We also have a Spitfire, but I haven't seen it lately. It may have been moved to storage as the Griffon is out for an overhaul.

RG_Lunatic said:
Excellent! Also measure the distance between the rivit lines.

You live in the San Diego area Flyboy? I grew up there and lived there most of my life (except when jobs took me elsewhere for up to 3 years at a time). We just moved from San Diego about a year ago.

Try to get there early, once the main guys leave the planes the idiots on patrol won't let you near enough to take measurements.

=S=

Lunatic

Actually I live in Colorado - I did live in California on and off for about 22 years. I travel there a lot to work on aircraft, fly an L-29 and see old Friends. I always liked San Diego, I worked for Rohr and Ryan!

I'm actually going to be an airshow participant, so I'll avoid the airshow Gestapo!

evangilder said:
If you can get to Camarillo, I can talk to the crew chiefs of the F6F, F8F and the Zero to see if they would let you take a measurment. We also have a Spitfire, but I haven't seen it lately. It may have been moved to storage as the Griffon is out for an overhaul.

Where is Camarillo ?

No prob! We have quite a collection of airplanes and artifacts. You can't miss us. From the airfield, we are near the tower. Look for a C-46, C-131 and/or a Martin 404 and you will find us. There is usually a couple of SNJs and a Broussard on the ramp as well. Right now we have a Nanchang CJ out there that came in on an IFE. He had a total engine failure and had to make a deadstick landing. :shock: He was right in from of our C-46 that was also coming in with an IFE. It was an exciting day! Fortunately, everyone got down okay. The C-46 sheared off one of it's main bolts for the tailwheel. Very scary.

Yes, all ended well, fortunately. We have very resourceful folks down at the CAF that were able to jury-rig a solution to keep the tail-wheel down and locked for them to get in okay. They have been working on it and it will be good as new in a short time.

When the bolt sheared, there was a loud bang and the whole airplane shuddered. The pilot said that when it happened he thought "OH SHIT!". He reads alot of accident reports in his regular job and he said that is one of the common things, normal takeoff and departure followed by a loud bang. That was the first thing that crossed his mind. Pucker factor of 9 on that one!

Hmmm... I know most of the guys that work on the C-46 and have heard mention of a T-33, but I don't remember who mentioned the T-33. We had one out at Camarillo a few months back giving rides. Do you know the name of the C-46 crewmember?

You know I don't. I was hooked up with a guy named Charlie Wallisch who had a T-33 based out of Mojave Airport. Charlie's dad and this "friend" would come out and help us during annual inspection time. He always talked about you guys and the C-46. Can't remember his name.

I don't suppose any of you guys could help me to aquire an appropriate wing or fuselage section for some real damage tests?

It does not need to be from real WWII aircraft, just have appropriate internal structure and be covered in duraluminum sheet. Obviously to keep the price down I'm looking for something off a wreck.

=S=

Lunatic

Right now I'm in Oklahoma. May be re-locating to the Bakersfield area or to the Casper Wyoming area or to the Colorado area soon.

But, if I can locate something that sounds appropriate, I can arrainge a road trip. I would need to transport the section to Ohio in any case - that's where the guy with the .50's and 20mm's who can shoot it up is.

=S=

Lunatic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back