Which non religious event has the biggest impact? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It changed global climate. Reduced temperatures by 0.3-0.4C in the Northern Hemisphere.

The 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora was bigger, and also affected the climate.

The 1257 Samalas eruption, also in Indonesia, lowered global temperatures by as much as 2C, disrupted agriculture causing famine, and influenced the downfall of the Byzantine Empire. Probably also caused a few other conflicts.

Were it not for the K/T event, there's no reason to suppose any humans would have arisen to record those statistics. I would argue that that "shaped the world so completely that we still feel it today" more than this or that eruption.

Mammals would probably have stayed around without the Chicxulub event opening up the upper niches of the biome, but it's unclear to me that mammals would have replaced reptiles as the dominant class or clade without the impact. I seriously doubt it.

If you want a volcanic event that really changed things, look at the Siberian eruptions around 250 mya. And that was a series of events taking place over a few million years, not one island cooking off.

This discussion would make a Creationists head burst. How do you pack all these events into 6,000 years.

It would probably do the same to a Flat Earther.

Lets see - writes her own music, play her own instrument, just gave the big F.U. to someone who was trying to shaft her.

I may not like her music, but she's earned what she's got, and got my respect

True that she's carved a career out of a brutal business. I don't know that commercial success equals artistic merit, though -- which was my point. Twinkies sell like the dickens, but I wouldn't want to live on 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back