Which plane was the most economically efficient?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The small Lysander and Storch had no effect on the outcome of a battle. The C47 did. Even though it consumed more resources than either to produce and fly, it produced results in battle that were far out of proportion to its economic worth.

i think the Lysander in its special ops mode probably contributed quite a bit but the curtiss C46 should also be mentioned in its work over the Himalayas

spies who had secrets vital to, yes, the outcome of battles! and other events............

and i'd iagree with the stringbag too.........

How about the HS123

Small, cheap, rugged and used from the Spanish Civil War right up to the end of WWII

Just my tuppence worth.

Sorry flyboy. That doest cut it.

Name some of them.

The only one I can think of was the delivery of the enigma machines, and I'm not even sure that was via a Lysander.

syscom3 said:
Sorry flyboy. That doest cut it.

Name some of them.

The only one I can think of was the delivery of the enigma machines, and I'm not even sure that was via a Lysander.
Here, and this is the tip of the iceberg...
http://users.tpg.com.au/berniezz/raf__special_duties_squadrons.htm
And ther's probably many more we'll never hear about....

And not to leave out the Storch...

http://www.eagle19.freeserve.co.uk/gransasso.htm
http://library.thinkquest.org/21229/bio/hreit.htm

Twitch said:
Flyboy- there actually was just one actually sunk by a Cub toting a 250-lb. bomb. Amazing!
I always thought it was a Stinson - A stock Cub could bearly get out of its own way - but with one pilot I could see it carrying a 250 pound bomb...

I'd like to see how fast that Cub elevates after the bomb is released!!!

Japanese planes had good range and weren't overly sophisticated or armoured, they didn't change the Zero much throughout the war so that would probably have good economy of scale as well.

The Il2 was one of the most produced aircraft during the war, but probably didn't cost much for the Russians either, but then slave labour is cheap and their aircraft were obviously suffering if you consider the reputation for shoddy build quality many russian aircraft have (Germans also used slave labour and probably the Japanese as well.)
Britian had some problems with strikes I believe so that would have affected their cost of production, US labour probably wasn't cheap either, thats another consideration.

Fkyboy here's a bit on the Cub I researched a few years ago. I need to find out what U-boat number it sank. Probably in a stiff wind the Cub would about stand still in the air with a bomb hung on it!!!

"Piper J-3 Cub
A completely low-tech aircraft was employed during the war as a coastal patrol aircraft. In the hands of civilian, volunteer pilots these private planes provided many eyes that did not subtract from the military effort. U-boat captains were forced to submerge regularly upon the arrival of these tiny planes for fear of being spotted with the resulting arrival of destroyers.

Many were fitted with crude bomb release mechanisms and fitted with 250-lb. bombs, which made for tense landings upon return home. At least one U-boat was confirmed sunk by this diminutive pleasure craft.

A 65 HP Continental flat 4-cylinder air-cooled engine could give a top speed of 85 MPH and a cruise at 75 MPH yielded a 190-mile range with a ceiling of 9,300 feet. With a span of 35.25 feet and length of 22 feet the 1,220-lb. load plane was just a speck on a periscope when observed."

Twitch said:
Let me know if you find that info - in CAP there's always been a lot of folklore of who, when and where the 2 subs were sunk.
Twitch said:
A 65 HP Continental flat 4-cylinder air-cooled engine could give a top speed of 85 MPH and a cruise at 75 MPH yielded a 190-mile range with a ceiling of 9,300 feet. With a span of 35.25 feet and length of 22 feet the 1,220-lb. load plane was just a speck on a periscope when observed."
My way of flying! :cool:

FYI, the Cub did WAAAY more than possibly sink a sub. The FO / Artillery Observation L-4s were probably responsible for a lot more damage than most people realize. They weren't armed, but as the eyes of the artillery were responsible in part for the devastating accuracy of US artillery, and saved the lives of countless GIs by giving commanders up-to-date information about current conditions.

Ryan

I would also say the Mustang. Part of its excellence was its low production cost.

But if you can sink a sub with a Cub, you are the master of efficiency!!

Id pick the little Cub. On d-ay flying off of converted landing craft they acted as spotters for the fleet and thats a prity big bang for the number for the bucks it cost to build them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back