Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Japanese Aisaka rifles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mosin-Nagant

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Others

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Before this topic becomes strained by sentimental favorites and all that sillyness remember that by by 1943-44 fast moving squad tactics dictated rapid fire capability that no bolt action pre-war conceived rifle had. It was a different place out there and volume of fire was paramount. The WW I idea of popping well-aimed shots from trenches across no man's land was a long dead fantasy as was the theory of "squandering" ammo by trigger happy soldiers that every old fart establishment general knew would happen.

If you're talking "best" to kill the emeny with you need to tally semi-auto or auto rifles. Yes I have a K-98 but I'd upgrade to the M-1 and if possible to the STG 44 in a heartbeat to increase my chances of staying alive.
Fedora.gif

I've always had a soft spot for the STV-40. Not quite as rugged as the Mosin but a very good weapon none the less. More than a million were issued to Soviet troops in WW2. Not 'standard issue' but still quite plentiful.

The only one I have fired is a SMLE IV, which was quite nice to fire, but with a large kick.

If I had to take one of those into battle, the Garand and then the Mauser would be my choice.

I'd go with the Garand. I'm not sure about kick, but something tells me that if an enemy got in too close I'd want a semi-auto and not a bolt rifle. Were it me with the gun, I think I'd have to have extra ammo, cause I rail off shots when ever I use my paintball marker (which is also semi-auto)

The Lee Enfield was in my view the best bolt action but the day of the bolt action was over and the Garrand is a clear winner

Soren said:
I voted others because the Stg.44 was clearly the best "rifle" to come out of WW2. However of the rifles above, the M1 Garand is clearly the best.
STANDARD-ISSUE, it is Hitlers fault that it didn't become standard issue

Well considering the STG-44 was not a Rifle, atleast when compared to the K98 and the M1. It is more of an automatic assault rifle. Now having fired an M1 and owning several K98s, which I have fired as well. I voted for the K98. It was an all around good weapon, easy to shoot and very accurate and deadly.

Overall though I think it comes down to what you want to use it for. The M1 to me is a very close second.

Well the Stg.44 is infact a "Rifle", but I can follow what you say. Maybe he should have written "Full powered rifle", then there would be no mistaken.

Also I agree that the K98k is a sweet thing to shoot, amazingly accurate and safe. I bet you could weld the barrell shut and the action still wouldn't blow up.(Wouldn't recommend trying it though)

Of the rifles above though, the M1 Garand is clearly the best, its semi-auto, easy to use, safe to use(Except there's a risk you might lose a finger when reloading ;) ), and its atleast as accurate as any of the rifles above out to 400m, which is more than enough in most situations.

M1 Garand is the best in my opinion for the fire and maneuver doctrine. 8 shots per clip than a K98, Semi-automatic, and a powerful .30 caliber round. It was rugged and reliable. Only problem with it was the fact that it was difficult to reload mid clip so soldiers just fired off the remaining ammo in their rifle.

Ill agree with what you are saying up there Soren. The 2 best of ww2 in my opionion when it comes to Non Assault or Automatic rifles deffinatly are the K98 and the M1. I put the K98 ahead only because I enjoyed shooting it more than the M1. Overall though the M1 probably has a good edge over the K98 for the reasons that you stated.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Ill agree with what you are saying up there Soren. The 2 best of ww2 in my opionion when it comes to Non Assault or Automatic rifles deffinatly are the K98 and the M1. I put the K98 ahead only because I enjoyed shooting it more than the M1. Overall though the M1 probably has a good edge over the K98 for the reasons that you stated.
Adler, you got your hands on a K98? How did you finance that it must have been expensive, being from the second World War.

Actually I own several of them and I paid no more than 350 dollars for each. They are not as expensive as you think. In the United States you can find M1s for as little as 150 dollars. I am a Military Collector and collect mostly 3rd Reich uniforms, tunics, and equipment. I have posted some of my stuff here in other threads. We had one going for a while called the Militaria Collectors thread.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Actually I own several of them and I paid no more than 350 dollars for each. They are not as expensive as you think. In the United States you can find M1s for as little as 150 dollars. I am a Military Collector and collect mostly 3rd Reich uniforms, tunics, and equipment. I have posted some of my stuff here in other threads. We had one going for a while called the Militaria Collectors thread.
cool, unfortunately, I'm a sophomore, too young to purchase firearms. When I'm old enough I'd like to buy a M1 and a few other WW2 paraphernalia and have a collection. I'd be sweet to have a 101st airborne uniform though the cost would be great.

Actually WW2 US uniforms are the cheapest there are in the hobby. They are so numerous. I have a WW2 IKE Jacket with the 101st patch on it. It is compete original and I paid $45 for it. The most expensive is the 3rd Reich uniforms. I paid no less than 450 dollars for one and as much as 2500 dollars for another. It is a fun but expensive hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back