Which Russian fighter?

Which Russian fighter do you prefer?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I just didn't brush my teeth afterwards.

Hot Space said:
I'll think I'll have a Spit XIV - Much more fun ;)

Hot Space

The La7-FNV (better supercharger and 3 x B20 guns) was certainly a match for the Spitfire XIV. It'd have the advantage below 12000 feet and the disadvantage above 16,000 feet. From 12-16,000 feet, they are very evenly matched, but the La7 probably turns better and certainly rolls better.

=S=

Lunatic

cheddar cheese said:
I dunno about that...

Well we can discuss the virtues and flaws of the Spitfire in another thread at some point 8)

But in general the Sptifire was past its envelope by the time of the 14, and it was not the greatest handling plane at near its top speed. At 250 IAS, where all the British tests were done, the Spit 14 easily outclassed the P-51. But, at 350 IAS the story was quite reversed. Most German planes had the same flight envelope, the FW's being a little faster, the 109's about the same or a little slower. So the nature of the combat was different in many respects.

=S=

Lunatic

RG_Lunatic said:
Hot Space said:
I'll think I'll have a Spit XIV - Much more fun ;)

Hot Space

The La7-FNV (better supercharger and 3 x B20 guns) was certainly a match for the Spitfire XIV. It'd have the advantage below 12000 feet and the disadvantage above 16,000 feet. From 12-16,000 feet, they are very evenly matched, but the La7 probably turns better and certainly rolls better.

=S=

Lunatic

well they were on the same side so there aint really makes little difference................

Hey jrk, the Elmo likes what he reads. The Yak-3 was one of the best fighters the Russians had to defend against the Nazi's.

Wasn't there a version of the Yak-9 called the Yak-9DD, meaning it could go for a long range.

I like the MiG-3. The name just sounds good. I dunno. Also the MiG-3 Looks cool unlike the La-7 and that other one. Like a Russian Spitfire- Lethal and elegant in the one deadly package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back