Which theater of War Would you choose for flying?

Which theater of World War II Would you choose for flying?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would say the European theatre. Youd have more chance of being kept alive by the Germans than the Japs. And the naval fighters just dont do it for me.

Africa for me! It did not say where in Africa, and as I have absolutely no intention of turning some corner of a foreign field into forever England, Southern Rhodesia sounds just the thing. I could spend the entire war in a nice, civilized place, speeding glum heroes down the line after teaching them to fly Harvards. Just the ticket!

You kind of have to look at this way. The Japs looked at capture and surrendure as weakness so you were fucked if you were captured. The Germans for the most part gave you the:

"Vell Vell Flyboy it looks like ze waar is offer for u. U vill be enjoying vine graass soop and ersatz kaffee, ja? Ve hope u vill enjoy your staay in ze Vaterland, ja."

:lol:

You kind of have to look at this way. The Japs looked at capture and surrendure as weakness so you were fucked if you were captured. The Germans for the most part gave you the:

"Vell Vell Flyboy it looks like ze waar is offer for u. U vill be enjoying vine graass soop and ersatz kaffee, ja? Ve hope u vill enjoy your staay in ze Vaterland, ja."

:lol:

My Father, an RAF pilot, was advised that in the case of being shot down over France, it was probably better to surrender - if obliged to by circumstances - to the Germans, rather than try to contact the French - who would probably hand him over not to the Luftwaffe as they were supposed to, but to the Milice, a collaborationist political police force. Very nasty.

Having said that, many RAF fliers were helped by the French, and managed as a result to get back to Britain to carry on the good work.

i would pick Africa as Australia is 2/3 desert, but if i came to a real choice what is better dying of thirst in a desert after getting shot down or getting eaten by sharks or salt water crocodiles around borneo or captured by Japanese, you would stand better chance with the crocodiles and sharks or getting shot down over europe and hopefuly not fall into the hands of the gestapo. buggar the views it isn't a scenery flight. you would be there for a reason not a vacation trip

My Father, an RAF pilot, was advised that in the case of being shot down over France, it was probably better to surrender - if obliged to by circumstances - to the Germans, rather than try to contact the French - who would probably hand him over not to the Luftwaffe as they were supposed to, but to the Milice, a collaborationist political police force. Very nasty.

Having said that, many RAF fliers were helped by the French, and managed as a result to get back to Britain to carry on the good work.

interesting ndicki. my dad told me that many Australian bomber crews when flying near Russian captured territory had a card saying they were English but it was printed in Russian of course in the event they were shot down near Russian troops and bailed out. They could not tell the Russians they were Australians in case the Russians thought they said they were Austrian etc. So much for Allied Intelligence at the time. Great say the wrong phrase in Russian to your Allies and they would shoot you

I wonder what they told the Poles to say - didn't matter who caught them, they were in trouble!

I would probably choose Europe, because if I got shot down, I would be treated alot better than what the Japanese would do...
I agree with P38 Pilot on that one

I voted Africa because of it's importance towards Naval Aviation. Swordfish, Martlets, Seafires, Spitfires, Hurri-bombers, Blenheims, Stukas!:D And plenty of ground targets too, imagine being in a Stuka or Hurricane Mk IIC or D with bombs, rockets and cannons against a column of vehicles or tanks. :) I would have voted for Europe, but Africa has too much GA appeal.

The Pacific.
I'm an Army brat and dad was stationed in Hawaii when I was a little guy.
I remember us going to Battle Ship row listening to dad tell of the attack there in 41. The Pacific has held my interest ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back