White Ensign Colourcoat Paint Has Anyone Used Them?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FatMart

Airman
Jun 1, 2009
I've just had some WEM Colourcoat paints delivered and was wondering if anyone has used them before, are there any problems to look out for? Best thinners? Overpainting other makers paints? Any info at all would be of help. Thanks.

Thanks Wurger, I'll have a look. I'll be sure to let you know the outcome after the Matchbox Bf 110 gets a splashing as they are all RLM colours.

WEM colourcoats are my enamels of choice. They have a range of meticulously matched colours. I thin them (for spraying) 50/50 with cellulose thinners as a starting point and adjust as neccassary.I find this method of thinning reduces the drying time which can be long!
They spray beautifuly.
I don't know (and certainly claim no expertise) but the pigments seem to be finer than in the Humbrol enamels.
I don't know wether this would be an issue when brushing them as I have never tried.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, I intend to try brushing first just to get the feel of them then if I don't get any hiccups I'll go for the spraying.

I know Keith (Muller) has been using quite a few WEM paints, and he reckons they're OK. I haven't actually seen them anywhere, so haven't tried them. Far as I've heard though, they sound very like the original Humbrol paints ( in particular their much missed 'Authentic Colour' range), not the poor quality stuff pumped out under the Humbrol name now.
I'm a bit dubious about using cellulose thinners though - I think I'd rather live with a longer drying time, than risk damage to the plastic with the cellulose.

Thanks Terry, what about white spirit or turps? Any thoughts on that? I did try Rustins Cellulose with Humbrol once and after a couple of months the paint turned into unusable snot.

Yeah, it will with cellulose, as it reacts and degrades the carrier. White spirit or turps substitute is fine mate, that's what I use. Model shop price for 250ml of thinners - about £3. Hardware store or B&Q price for 2.5 litres of White Spirit - about £3 !! Which one wins?!!

If the white spirit is what I think I'm not sure if it can be use for the WEM paints as a thinner.For acrylic paints it can be but for the oil enamels the turpentine oil ( turps ?) rather.

No, it's OK Wojtek. White Spirit is sold (In the UK anyway) as 'Turpentine Substitute'. It's an oil based thinners, basically enamel thinners! It's clear, like water, and has that typical thinners smell. I've been using it for at least 30 years!
Of course, it won't work with acrylics, but is fine with all modelling enamels, and household 'decorating' paints, as that's what it's designed for. I used to get mine for free from a painter and decorator friend, but he's now moved, so I have to buy it! But at only around £3, maybe a bit more, for 2.5 litres, I don't mind!

Thanks Terry. I was misled by the "spirit" word. In Polish "sprit " means "spirytus" what is a kind of an alcohol and can be used as a thinner of acrylic paints.

Yep you are right Terry the surgical spirit is the kind of an alcohol as well and it can be used as the thinner for acrylic colours.However the word "spirytus" in Polish is of wider meaning.:lol:

Here you are my friend; these are the two types of spirit I prefer to use. The one on the left is ideal for Humbrol and other enamels, and costs about £3 for the container shown. The one on the right is much more expensive, and as you will see, is a smaller container. However, it has a very smooth effect in use, and should be used for those stressful jobs, or for special occassions. If used carefully, no after effects or ill health will be noticed.

Attachments

• DANS PRINT 013.jpg
    DANS PRINT 013.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 199
I understand Terry.:D Here you are the Polish product.Both of them are excellent for all purposes, ecpecially for "anesthesia".Using them I haven't had any after effects so far.

Attachments

• prod_spirytus_lux.jpg
    prod_spirytus_lux.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 171
  • prod_spirytus_rekt.jpg
    prod_spirytus_rekt.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 192
:lol: After both bottles you won't be able to speak at all I'm afraid. This id 95% liqiuid. :lol: But a training makes a master...

I have found WEM to be the best of the enamel paints. They are matched to the original specifications, so they say. For spraying I thin them with Humbrol Enamel Thinners. HET are naphtha, the lightest petroleum distillate, something like lighter fuel. I add a couple of drops of Rustin's Driers and they are touch dry in a couple of hours.

For brush painting any enamel try adding Winsor Newton's Liquin + driers.The Liquin allows the paint to continue to flow very slowly whilst it is hardening giving a very smooth finish. I have found this to work very well with gloss enamels like Xtracolor.

Thanks Antoni, interesting info about the Liquin. I have a bottle I use occassionally for my oil paintings, and never even thought about using it with my modelling paints (mainly Humbrol, with a couple or so Xtracolour). I'll give it a try, after a few experiments of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back