Who would you want to design your fighter - 1943

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A fighter design with works starting in 1943 must be a jet fighter,
piston fighter, from that time, are good only for niche use, like long range, carrier, nightfighter

How sure were the Allies that jet-power would pan out in time?

How sure were the Allies that jet-power would pan out in time?
It was understood during WWII that propeller driven aircraft had an absolute maximum speed of 500 to 600mph. Jets were new and they needed debugging, and in 1943, the panic had not set in yet. If the enemy figures them out and you don't, you are in trouble.

Lots of excellent piston engined fighters were not developed late in the war, because it was obvious they needed jets. Think of the Republic XP-72, and the Hawker Fury.

It was understood during WWII that propeller driven aircraft had an absolute maximum speed of 500 to 600mph. Jets were new and they needed debugging, and in 1943, the panic had not set in yet. If the enemy figures them out and you don't, you are in trouble.

Lots of excellent piston engined fighters were not developed late in the war, because it was obvious they needed jets. Think of the Republic XP-72, and the Hawker Fury.

Right, having backstop designs in case the jet engines require more development than anticipated.

Figure I'll stir it up a bit. Lockheed L-133.

Your mission is ours.
Compare the L-133 to the F-104 (more than just coincidence?) and you see that even *if* the L-133 were built, it would not be a fighter, but an interceptor (like the Starfighter.

In regards to jet/piston engine aircraft, the U.S. had several mixed power types in development like the Ryan FR, Curtiss XF15C, Consolidated XP-81, etc.

I vote for Kurt Tank since he was a visionary in aircraft design.
I would pick Richard Vogt.

His P212, while it never went past wind tunnel/mockup stage, could pass for a modern stealth drone.

There were plenty of visionary aircraft designers in Germany at the time: Alexander Lippish, Eugen Sanger, the Horten brothers...

Last edited:
528moh was at low(ish) altitude.

High performance WW2 fighters set their maximum speeds at higher altitudes.
Rare Bear is WWII technology. It does not matter that it flew in 1989.

A racing aircraft has the advantage that it only has to be fast at something below 10,000ft. You don't care about anything else. In a WWII Bearcat, you need performance up to at least 25,000ft. In a Mustang or Thunderbolt, it is more like up to 35,000ft, or even 40,000ft. A racing aircraft does not need a powerful supercharger, or the additional turbocharger.

I'm not agree, possible the airframe, but i'm not sure*, was WW2 technology, not hope on the power regime of the engine
* it is possible was lightened more of that of WW2 technology would have allowed

I'm not agree, possible the airframe, but i'm not sure*, was WW2 technology, not hope on the power regime of the engine
* it is possible was lightened more of that of WW2 technology would have allowed
Racing aircraft are not grabbed on landing by tailhooks. You can take advantage of that. How aerobatic are racing aircraft?

The costs of developing an air racing engine and structure are prohibitive. The big engines were needed for stuff other than air racing back in WWII.

Sort of, in the fact that versions of the F8F and R-3350 were around during the war years, but Rare Bear "bears" little resemblance to a WWII fighter anymore.
From what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, but the aircraft broke the speed record with a DC-7 engine and prop, a modified EC-121 supercharger, nitrous injection and 80 inches of manifold pressure running 180 octane, specially blended race gas, and a boil-off oil cooler. Not to mention the EXTENSIVLY modified airframe.
not really WWII technology

I think Dago Red runs a LUDICROUS 150 in/Hg boost, which is equal parts bonkers and awesome

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back