Why no good WW1 Games?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rogthedodge

Airman 1st Class
May 9, 2007
Apologies if this is in the wrong section but does anyone know any good WW1 strategy games? I bought that dreadful entente rubbish and only bothered a couple of times with it

Ideally I'd love 'Cossacks with trenches' type of thing but so far no joy. any hints / pointers?

R

The only WW1 game I can think of is Blazing Skies, which was on the SNES. Next nearest would be Empire Earth on the PC. It goes from cavemen throwing rocks to battle mechs and space ships, one of the ages is World War 1. It's an RTS game which can be picked up pretty cheap now

ANXBe.png

Last edited:
I just love Cossacks on the PC - once you get the resources side of it under control it combines tactics strategy. I play it a lot and get myself into tricky spots just to see if i can get myself out of them.

But I'm always thinking where's cossacks 6 or whatever when the arty gets bigger and you can construct trenches, decide where when to try a 'big push' or even try the behind the lines amphib option to turn the flank.

'Entente' was a cossacks 'development' or just rip-off but very badly concieved and executed, pay the postage and it's yours!

TBH I think a WW1 1st person shooter would be a bit odd - up the line, reserve, 'rest', repeat ad nauseam (maybe a bath every other week) until a sniper or a dirty great shell ends that phase and you get the slow ambulance-journey phase. A tactical strategy game however would be really interesting - for me at least

There isn't much interest in WW1... the sequel was more popular...

the third in the series may be the last release however.

There isn't much interest in WW1... the sequel was more popular...

the third in the series may be the last release however.

Good gag!

I agree about the interest point - the game market is driven by what interests kids in the US aged 14-20 (hence the accuracy issue in many games).

Interest in WW1 seems to occur later in life (did with me anyway).

Oh well the price of being a kidult I suppose

Apologies if this is in the wrong section but does anyone know any good WW1 strategy games? I bought that dreadful entente rubbish and only bothered a couple of times with it

Ideally I'd love 'Cossacks with trenches' type of thing but so far no joy. any hints / pointers?

R

You could do Hearts of Iron (great game) and install the WWI mod...

It is because WWI ultimately was a war of stalemate which doesn't help its chances of a game being created. It was basically a meat-grinder type situation and ultimately even those of you that are interested would not be fond of a historical game that stuck to the truth. Disease, poor conditions. Being able to be out of the fight before the game really began. Ugh, no way. This is why a WWI game will never take off except at a large scale tactical level...

It is because WWI ultimately was a war of stalemate which doesn't help its chances of a game being created. It was basically a meat-grinder type situation and ultimately even those of you that are interested would not be fond of a historical game that stuck to the truth. Disease, poor conditions. Being able to be out of the fight before the game really began. Ugh, no way. This is why a WWI game will never take off except at a large scale tactical level...

Yeah it's the large-scale tactical / strategic level I'm looking for.

I appreciate you're just agreeing with what I said in my earlier posts, not correcting me as it appears. I hope I'm right.:?:

Jutland would be a good start for a WWI game. Maybe also add Zeebrugge. I think they can come up with something similar to Call of Duty if they take some sectors of the war and create a flowing game. It could be done.

Yes, but then you risk turning it into an arcade game. I agree that a naval battles of WW1 would be interesting. Or maybe a game which could be called something like Iron Thrust as a large scale tactical troop simulator with bombers and fighters as well as troops, and in some cases ships. Would really be worth looking at...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back