Why no good WW1 Games?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Over Flanders Fields is doing just fine. Why not give it a go?

OFF%20RB%20Bluff.gif

I think the reason no one has made a WWI game is just because of how brutal and stupid it was. In the age of modern weaponry generals march their soldiers in column warfare? Are they crazy?

ALso, who want's to play a game about standing in a trench for 6 months?

You can also download a world war I mod for Battlefield 1942, then either make youre own or download world war one maps.

EDIT: there weren't trenches in Gallipolli :rolleyes:

One of the best WW1 flight sims going is ThirdWire's "First Eagles" for $30 or less. It already has an incredible 3rd party community of modders, even though the game is not even a year old yet, see: First Eagles The Great Air War 1918

Then go over to Combat Ace for the forum: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showforum=101

As well as the FREE 3rd party downloads!!!

PS: If anybody is interested in a board game version of Jutland, with cardboard counters (the olde way to play wargames...), I have one for sale in great shape...

Thanks for the suggestions.

I see some can't help lapsing into trotting out silly inaccurate received 'wisdom' about WW1:

'Column warfare vs modern weapons' - what?!
Just when did that happen? Ever heard of 'artillery formation'? Any idea what that might be??

'Standing in a trench for 6 months'? - and just who did that in WW1? Concept of unit rotation, forward, support and reserve lines a new one to you? Deploying companies 1;1;2 ?
Most front-line stints were 24hrs per company as even a cursory study of the odd book would reveal.

'Can't make a game about WW1 because it was 'brutal and stupid' ' - unlike other wars eh? Didn't stop games being made about other wars did it? Amazes me how many 'experts' 'know' they could fight a better war than those in charge at the time!

Of course there were trenches at Gallipoli! Why would anyone think there weren't? Squaddies are known to prefer being shot at to digging eh?

Where do you think the nickname Diggers for the Australians and New Zealand troops came from?

i no why they dont have w1 games its easy well as u can see ww1 was trench war(line battles) as u can see well in the 1800 people was fighting in line battles and when ww1 brokeout they still had the fighting style as if they were in the 1800s so they really didnt get a new style until WW2! BROKE OUT THE TRENCH WAR WAS USELESS WITH MACHINE GUN FIRE AND PLANES BOMBING THE **** OUT OF U SO THATS WHY THEY DONT HAVE WW1 GAMES IT WILL BE PINTLESS TO SEE MEN MOVING BACK AND FORTH KILLING EACH OTHER AND I WOULDNT EVEN HAVE A WW1 FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS GAMES IMAGEN THAT DYING EVERY 10 SECONDS THAT WOULD BE THE POINTLESS GAME EVER

I think it would be awesome to play a WW I 1st person shooter, styled somewhat like call of duty. WWI was more then trench warfare on the Western Front DO NOT forget the Italians, French, Russians, ect fighting on the other fronts. I think a little trench warfare gaming would be neat. Also, throw in some stuff from the battles of the isonzos, Verdun, gallipoli... plus tons more things to throw in to make an awesome game. Of course it would be extremely difficult to keep it historically accurate, but i think just taking main concepts into the game would satisfy me.

I know for the tactical type games some RTS games that go through different periods of time usually have a World War I age. I'm think of Empire Earth specifically.

One of the reasons I think there is no real World War I 1st person shooters is because the mass audience of game players likes running around throughout huge maps and using devices like gernades and such. A World War I game would be interesting, but would not have as much running and would make some people bored.

On a side not, didn't EA Games start a prototype Battlefield 1918. I thought I heard something about it

In the boardgames genre, there is an old old game called "The greenfields beyond" put out by SPI. Was not too bad. In the moer modern genre, ther is Paths Of Glory (POG), which I personally am not that keen on, but which is not too bad fom a grand strategy standpoint.

Me and the ADG playtest group (Australian Design Group - of World In Flames fame) have been considering a WWI game played at "operational level, but as others have pointed out, getting players to hurl their manpower at machneguns, and make it interesting is a bit of a challenge. Game scaling is also a bit of a problem....the front might be 500 km long, and advanceds measured in hundreds odf metres....

Sorry to ressurrect this, have only just come across it. If you're into boardgames,try this site: Avalanche Press

The Verdun and Jutland games are currently on their way to me :D They are also on the verge of releasing a company scale tactical game based on the Eastern Front in 1914... all good stuff

I have Red Baron 2...With the Full Canvas Jacket superpatch...A great graphical experience but with all the addons and other stuff...like Glide wrappers and first aid kits...It always crashes after I finish a mission...And I've installed them in the order thay supposed to be...
Would love to get this game up n running...But at moment...I'm waiting for Over Flanders Fields between Heaven and hell...Which looks Amazing...

there is a very good mod for bf 1942 called bf1918. it was incredible popular but its aging pretty rapidly.
i think they could make good RPG games.
but then again the most deads during that war was because of deceases and stuff. and the fact that it was mostly trenchwarfare and that a push wasnt that common. so it was more a sit and wait game. if they would try to copy that then well it would be a very boring game.
some battles could be made, but then they better make campaigns for allies and axis to lett the game be more intresting and to make the game longer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back