Widescreen

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kool kitty89

Senior Master Sergeant
Aug 29, 2007
San Jose, CA
Does Il-2 support a 16x9 resolution mode?

I've played around with the settings a bit but haven't been ably to find such a resolution option. So the images all end up stretched. (inless I switch to windowed mode)

I did it and the AR is still off. I never had a problem with the file getting rewritten or reset anyway.

What should the in-game "video mode" settings be? (currently I'm on 1024x768 full screen)

The WS resolutions that work best with IL2 are:

1920x1080
1680x1050
1600x900 and
1280x720

In your conf file (C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946) llok here:

[window]
width=1920
height=1200

ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

Set the H W resolutions to whatever you want.. I have a 24" WS and I found the above settings worked best for me.

Still not working for me. =(

I made sure the file saved, and wrote it as Bearcat said (at 1600x900) but the game still plays the same. (at whatever in-game video-mode is selected)

I usually play in 1024x768 windowed currently so it looks alright. Thin ingame selection for "full screen" gives several options for screen res, but all are 4x3 AR...

Are you going back into the in game video mode screen after making changes to the conf.ini?

If you do it will overwrite those changes you made, got me a couple of times.

Yes, but the full screen at modified res doesn't work in the first place. It should be full screen as soon as the game starts up, right?

In any case, (after going back into the video modes screen) when I open the conf.ini file it hasn't been overwritten but is the same as I left it.

I've tried the various solutions and the best you can do is get a 4:3 'actual' picture on your 16:9 monitor, so it isn't a true fullscreen picture, the rest of the picture (Sides) being black.

Well first you enter the game files (where'ever you have placed them), the folder you're looking for is called IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 and should be within eithr the folder Ubisoft or Ubi soft (Note the space between Ubi soft).

Anyway when you open the folder IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 you will amongst alot of other folders see one named Conf, open it. When you've opened it you will see a long list with a lot of subtitles, look under [Windowed] and change the resolution to 1680x1050 there.

It looks like this to begin with:

[window]
width=1280
height=1024
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

You need to change it to:

[window]
width=1680
height=1050
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

Note that I just changed the resolution from 1280x1024 to 1680x1050.

Now that this has been done try to opne the game, you will note the cropped picture. Now do not enter any video settings inside the game, it wont do anything but change it back to 1280x1024, so just leave that alone and you should be ready to play.

I have a 20" Widescreen Samsung monitor and it works for me, but the actual picture will be 4:3.

Good luck KK, I hope that helped :)

Messing around with editing the conf.ini file is what I've already been trying, but it doesn;t seem to have any effect on the game whatsoever. (and I mad sure the file stayed edited)

I tried it as well on my old computer (with standard 4x3 moniter) and there's a considerable difference: the game won't open at all with the resolution in conf.ini I altered from 1024x768. (1024x768 is what is normally written to my file)

Edit: changing the resolution on my old computer works fine as long as it's to a resolution my computer will recognise. (I plugged in 1280x720 and it worked perfectly, albet it's already a 4x3 moniter so everything looked squised horizontally)

It still does nothing on my new computer AFIK the instalation of the 2 computers was the same, the only difference being the hardware and the operating system. (my new computer uses Vista, the old one has XP Home Edition)

Note: I don't think it matters, but I run the game witout using the CD (or a virtual CD) as it is fully installed.

I'm not sure if the graphics card has any settings that could override it, but for some reason the game is still uneffected (on my new comp) with the conf.ini file completely removed from the Il-2 file folder!!!

I tried this on my old computer and the game opened as well, but it had written a new (rudementary) conf.ini file to do so. (at 800x600 and with no sound)

Ok then I think I know what the problem is KK.

The thing is Vista has this new security feature which prevents you from editing program folders, like the Conf folder, not allowing you to save changes to it. You need to go into your control panel, then open the UserAccount folder. When inside turn off the UserAccountControl (UAC), then restart the computer and try to edit the Conf folder once again (And remember to save changes).

Now it definitely should work.

I have the Il-2 1946 DVD set. (with bonus disk) So maybe the installation is different. (I didn't realize I didn't need the CD until I played it w/out the disc by accident)

I'll try what you said, but from the looks of it the file seems to be saving fine. (though initially the folder was read-only so I had to change the settings to allow it to be overwritten)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back