Wildcats in action in Europe 1945 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Would the FM2/WildcatVI be more of a contemporary of the Sea Hurricane IIC?

Would the FM2/WildcatVI be more of a contemporary of the Sea Hurricane IIC?
Not really. The IIC was introduced just too late for Pedestal, IIRC, so about a year and a bit earlier than the FM2. The FM2 was a preferable aircraft to the SHIIC if only because of the folding wings.

Wow, I had assumed the FM2 had a comfortable performance advantage over the Sea Hurricane. Apparently not

It's a very interesting comparison because they both had the same fuel load and weighed about the same (although with 420RPG the FM2 went up to ~7400lb). The SH1B has a range of 555 miles at 20K ft and the FM2 is 595 miles at 15K ft. If the FM2 range was stated for 20K ft it would be almost identical to the SH1B. Consequently, the loiter times for the FM2 will also be nearly identical to the SH1B at the same altitude, which supports my comparative analysis of the Martlet IV/F4F4B and SH1B data cards.

It's a very interesting comparison because they both had the same fuel load and weighed about the same (although with 420RPG the FM2 went up to ~7400lb). The SH1B has a range of 555 miles at 20K ft and the FM2 is 595 miles at 15K ft. If the FM2 range was stated for 20K ft it would be almost identical to the SH1B. Consequently, the loiter times for the FM2 will also be nearly identical to the SH1B at the same altitude, which supports my comparative analysis of the Martlet IV/F4F4B and SH1B data cards.
The FM2 seems to have a significant climb advantage over both the Sea Hurricane IB and IIC. Which is strange considering the relative horsepower and aircraft weights

The FM2 seems to have a significant climb advantage over both the Sea Hurricane IB and IIC. Which is strange considering the relative horsepower and aircraft weights
It doesn't have a climb advantage because the climb rate at the combat rating of the SH1B and SHIIC are not given. However, the HS1B made 1440hp at the full combat rating and the HSIIC a bit more. Using combat power the SH1B will outclimb the FM2 because it weighs about the same but has another ~100hp.

Using the Normal climb power FM2 = 6.7 minutes to 15K ft vs 10min to 20K ft for the SH1B. These are basically identical climb rates,

Last edited:
No. The first FM2 FAA unit was No. 881 in June 1944, embarked on HMS Fencer, by this time the majority of Sea Hurricanes had left operational service. The FM2 is more a contemporary of the Seafire III, which entered service in November 1943.

Mike

Curious, because by some estimates (cough) Sea Hurricane was every bit as good as any Martlet. So why bother with the foreign aircraft?

I can. The FAA needed every damn carrier capable airplane they could get their hands on.

But they retired Sea Hurricane. Martlet came in and both Martlet / Wildcat and Seafire (from MK III onward) had folding wings. Hellcats and Corsairs came in a bit later, and Fireflies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back