Will be in Europe for 3 weeks this Summer

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree your locomotive is impressive SR6 but, our Mallard is sleek, fast and holds the LSR by the way :)

It may hold the "record" but the Niagara class ran 960 miles ( or most of it, 930 miles? electric locomotives had to get the trains out of Grand Central and out of Manhattan) in 16 hours with one fuel stop, six days a week and maintenance on the 7th day, pulling a much heavier train. They replaced these.

nyc5453wf1939.jpg

And these were a rival to the Mallard as far as speed

hi103.gif

A 1/5 scale model of the Niagara resides at the Stapleford Miniature Railway in England and should be open to the public during the August Bank Holiday?

There is just too much interesting stuff to see in in the UK to cover in just a few weeks :(

You have been watching too much Thomas the Tank Engine Matt :)
We invented the current world standard guage for railways...

Can't argue with the endurance run SR6. The crews must have been superhuman ! How much coal did those men shovel???

But... we hold the LSR and Mallard has her place in history assured. :)

The Welsh used them for mountain trains and I think the Swiss do too. The narrow guage with cog drive.
If you ever get the chance take a small train trip in Switzerland its is fantasic.

The main line trains here and in mainland Europe are standard guage.

Tasmania has narrow guage. **** off big locomotives tottering along on silly narrow tracks.... I suppose the convicts couldn't measure very well :)

It was something about a huge incompatibility issue and its impact to freight logistics. Must have been a local issue and I misconstrued it as being a large geographic issue. Nevermind!

Can't argue with the endurance run SR6. The crews must have been superhuman ! How much coal did those men shovel???)

Automatic stoker

The Niagara's were almost a generation later than the Mallard.

They were completely roller/needle bearing equipped.

NiagaraGetsPulled.jpg

Their cost per mile was almost identical to diesels of the times and that is the main feature of their design.

It was something about a huge incompatibility issue and its impact to freight logistics. Must have been a local issue and I misconstrued it as being a large geographic issue. Nevermind!

Perhaps this is what you were thinking of :)

armouredtrain.jpg

When dealing with railroads there are two gauges to be aware of, the track gauge (distance between rails) and the loading gauge which limits the size of the locomotives, railcars and loads due to the size of tunnels, bridges and loading platforms. The NYC which ran the Locomotive in the picture had a height restriction 1 foot lower than than some other US railroads.

Santa Fe railroad had several designs of telescoping/folding funnels to get around a couple of low bridges that "ruled" large areas of track.

3c3768.jpg

The Russians and Spanish used wider gauge track and wheels and the rest of Europe (although not the same as each other ) which did have very significant impact on logistics for both the Germans and Russian armies.

An automatic stoker... a locomotive that size would need that I guess.
The Fireman was the real hero of the Mallard LSR in my opinion... shovelling coal for Britain mile after mail. A hard job for hard men.
Imagine the H&S issues doing that job these days?

Why did America abandon steam when you have such bountifull coal resources?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back