World War II Allied Aircraft Crashes in The Netherlands (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JanN

Recruit
May 2, 2007
www.airwar4045.nl
For any one interested...

I have made a software programme called "World War II Allied Aircraft Crashes in The Netherlands".

The purpose of the programme is to search for information about allied aircraft crashes in The Netherlands in the Second World War.
The programme connects to the Internet to get the data and you can search the database by first selecting the type of aircraft, airfield/base, squadron, crash area and/or year of the crash; Any combination is possible. Once you have made your choice, you can search for a specific aircraft wartime registration code or the name of a crew member.

The programme furthermore can give you information about the used airfields in the United Kingdom and general details about aircraft types.
Some images of crew members and/or an image of the aircraft may also be available.
On a 'Statistics' page you can view some statistics about the database content, for example the number of crashes for a specific area in Holland. All provinces are separately listed as well as the West Frisian Islands, North Sea, Wadden Sea, IJsselmeer and Noordoostpolder.

The programme is available for FREE, has NO restrictions and NO advertising, and can be downloaded via: http://ww2.texlaweb.nl/

Any comments about the software (good or bad), or any new information/updates to the database about the subject, especially photographs, is highly appreciated...

Jan

Hi Jan

Looks like a great project.

I hope you don't mind me asking but why is it a download and not a searchable website? It's just that I am usually weary of downloading programmes off the net, as I am sure many others are.

Cheers
A

Hello 'A',

Using a website means that you have several restrictions in doing things like transitions from page to page or objects on a page etc. etc.
Of course many things can be done by using programming techniques like Java(Script) and PHP, but it is much easier to use professional presentation software. The (though rather expensive) software I have used (Opus Pro 5.5) is very good for this purpose.
It is possible to create a Flash (Macromedia) website, but this means that you have much more download traffic each time you want to look in the database. Downloading just one single executable (my software), means that the only traffic is the data coming from the database, which is just plane ASCII text and is in kB rather than MB.

Jan

P.S. Please note that the database is only filled with a few (85) aircraft and crew members, but this will be greatly expanded in the upcoming months. Just look 'under' the "Modifications" button and you can see the changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back