World War III in the Pacific?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BombTaxi

Tech Sergeant
Nov 27, 2004
Barnsley, S. Yorks, UK
Hi folks

When most of us think of WWIII scenarios, I would guess that we mainly think of tank battles in the Fulda Gap or a total nuclear holocaust, maybe even both. But it has long struck me that in the Pacific, there were, and still are a number of potential flashpoints. Firstly, there is still a simmering dispute between Russia and Japan over the ownership of the Kuril islands. Secondly, the USA and USSR were in very close geographic proximity in the far northern Pacific. Thirdly, a Third World War in Europe might well re-ignite the Korean conflict as a sort of secondary war by proxy.

My question is, how would a war in these circumstance been fought? Was there a 'War Plan Orange', as it were, for the Cold War? Was there a Russian counterpart to it? Any and all thoughts, information and/or points of discussion would be most welcome 8)

Cheers

BT

Indonesia vs Singapore/Australia/New Zealand over Islamic Naziasm.

Spratly Islands - China, Vietnam, Taiwan

... and more east... India vs China

And God forbid Russia vs China

Thanks guys, a few things there I had forgotten about, and some I was not aware of. Was/is there any detailed strategic planning for a US vs USSR or US vs PRC clash in the Pacific, or would it be seen as a secondary theatre in a 'Hot War' scenario, with the main US/USSR fighting being in Europe?

I would think there probably is strategic planning and that the scenarios have been gone over at the Pentagon, Rand and other places. I doubt details of that kind of thing would be readily available to the general public for OpSec reasons.

Russia vs. China will happen. God help us stay out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back