World’s Largest Remote Control Plane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeap the Luftwaffe uses them for aerial recon still. We were flying one day and were "intercepted" by 2 Luftwaffe Phantoms. They flew right over us. I posted the pics but it was hard to see anything in them because they went by so fast by the time the camara took the pic they were just specs in the distance.

What a horrid thought! I love the Phantom! They should not be allowed to shoot at the things, even if they are obsolete junk. (The Luftwaffe still uses them; I was up on the coast by Nordholz this summer, and they were flying past all day, pair after pair. Beautiful. No other twin jet comes close!)

At Holloman and Tindall AFB they already shot down about 200. They've also droned F-86s, F-100s and F-106s...

Believe it of not these aircraft are not worth saving as combat aircraft. They're high time, need a lot of maintenance and what it would cost to get them fully operational, you could probably by a slightly used F-15...

Have you seen this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--_RGM4Abv8

131428315_677fd40b07_m.png

http://static.flickr.com/56/131428315_677fd40b07_m.jpg

And I think the British turned a brutally beautiful airplane into a thing of wonder. I love the foreshortened radome for the AWG-10, the 20% larger intakes and drooped exhaust. THAT is what a Phantom is supposed to look like. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the F-4K.

Attachments

• Phantom II.jpg
    Phantom II.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 3,061
  • Phantom II -1.jpg
    Phantom II -1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 812
  • Phantom II -2.jpg
    Phantom II -2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 775
Very, very exquisite model of the F-4K. I never heard one in person,
and wonder if the Rolls Royce Spey turbofans had the same menacing
shriek and roar as the J-79's? I know it had better range than the
American Phantom, but was a bit slower and not quite as handy at
altitude. Still, it's an aircraft that is not subtle in its power and ability.

I like a smoking jet! I grew up exactly ten miles directly north of the
end of the west runway at McCoy AFB, now Orlando International (MCO).
Fond memories have I of B-52's scrambling on ORI drills and flying, still very
low, directly over my house. Noise and smoke - the sound of Freedom!

A tidbit for those of you who visit Orlando. When you land at the airport,
you are touching history. Before it was named after LTC McCoy who died
in a B-47 accident, it was Pinecastle AFB. It is where the Bell X-1 was first
dropped and glide tested and landed before going to Muroc for powered flight test. I think Slick Goodlin was flying some of those drops. Slick died earlier
this year.

I was there - I actually saw it happen.

Those are droned a little different than the ones used at Holloman and Tyndal. I think all the Mugu QF-4s are gone.

Wow :shock:

Sad weekend - after witnessing this a Point Mugu we flew back Sunday morning. As we were securing the aircraft I get a call on my cell phone, the night before a good friend of mine was murdered.

I mark that weekend as a turning point in my slow departure from California...

BTW - I've posted this photo before. Right after it was taken I got the phone call...

Attachments

• L-29.jpg
    L-29.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 231
If you don't mind me asking, FBJ, what was the circumstances?

He was a Manager of a night club in Lancaster, Ca. He had thrown out 3 guys earlier in the night, they came back several hours later with a high power rifle and shot up the place. A bouncer and several patrons were hit, Marshal was hit in the head, died on the way to the hospital.

It took several years but they caught the @ssholes, they got life, should of gotten a lot more.

Lancaster was a sleepy desert town with a lot of aviation activity, just like everything else, scumbags from the LA area came up and ruined the place. Less than a year later I moved to Colorado.

what a bunch of mother ****ers!, i agree they should have gotten more then life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back