Wright SGR-1820 vs R-1820?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
I've spent several hours trying to figure out what the difference is between a Wright SGR-1820-XX vs an R-1820-XX engine and I cannot figure it out. Does anybody know?

The G stands for reduction gear, engines without the R were direct drive.
The S might stand for supercharged.?

Once all 1820s were supercharged and used reduction gears the S and R might have been dropped?

In any case here is the FAA type certificate for the R-1820 series, both geared and ungeared which shows that the G stood for geared.
No real clue as to what the S stood for?
https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_...00705bbc87d578525670e00653f09/$FILE/ATC98.pdf

Correction, type certificate for the R-1820F series.

Last edited:
The SGR-1820 should be a geared 1820 with an external supercharger...With the development of the G series engines, the external supercharger was dropped and the case got an internal one. They produced only about 710 hp, and I believe the DC-1 and DC-2 were the only aircraft that used them from the data that I found.

S = higher supercharger ratio per Model Designations of U.S.A.F. Aircraft Engines (USAF Engine Models )

Seems to be applied often but not always as a modification of an existing model, and was used widely for the E and F models, a limited number of G engines and not at all from the G100 onwards.
S.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back