WW II-Aircraft recoveries

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Uwe Benkel

Recruit
Dec 1, 2007
Hello,

my name is Uwe Benkel from Heltersberg/Germany. Since 1989 me and my 15 partners recovered the remains of 90 aircraft in germany. We also recovered the remains of 29 missing crewmembers (german, american, british) and were able to inform still living family members. To get some more details please visit you homepage Flugzeugabstürze Saarland und Umgebung Flugzeugarchäologie.

Our latest recovery was a Messerschmitt Me 262 in Bavaria including remains of the pilot. One of our next projects will be the recovery of a american aircraft in the area of Saarbrücken/Germany.

A few days ago we got a mail from somebode who located the crashsite of a D.H. Mosquito. He found the watch of the pilot, wreckage pieces. Are there some "Mosquito-experts" out there who are able to help us identifying the aircraft and the crew?

For more information you can contact us by mail: [email protected]

Best wishes from Heltersberg/Germany

Martina Uwe Benkel

Awesome info there Uwe, keep up the good work!!!!

I'm sure there is some one out there that can help. Maybe if you could post some pictures of the pieces that need identified we can figure out what it is.

Very good stuff Uwe?

I have a question however. How would I be able to volunteer my time to help you with your searches and recoveries?

Hello,

enclosed you will find a plate that was found at the crashsite of the D.H. Mosquito. Can somebody help us identifying the aircraft?

I also add some of the oil paintings showing aircraft we recovered. Marek Dziewa, a member of our group is painting them. For more details please contact ust.

Uwe Benkel

Attachments

• BILD0357.JPG
    BILD0357.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 002 Alfred Appel.jpg
    002 Alfred Appel.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 397
  • 004 P-47 Hamrick Hinterweidenthal.JPG
    004 P-47 Hamrick Hinterweidenthal.JPG
    309.7 KB · Views: 615
welcome lover here Uwe it is good to hear from you again. do you have any more informations on your Me 262 recovery since last time we spoke ?

may I make a suggestion to the artist friend on your team. the second painting of IV./JG 301 Röte 4 needs a blue second gruppe bar over the two colour fuselage band indicating IVth gruppe as it trys to defend it's Bf 109G-10 self from a P-51D of the 78tyh fighter group

mfg

E ~

Hello Erich,

the wreckage of the Me 262 including its pilot, Uffz Wolfgang Severin was about 6 meters deep in the ground. The remains of the pilot were turned over to the familymembers and he got a funeral on the cemetery of his hometown Bad Blankenburg/Germany.

Enclosed you will find some photographs. If you would like to get more details, please let me know.

Uwe Benkel

Attachments

• DSC07820.JPG
    DSC07820.JPG
    2.1 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC07832.JPG
    DSC07832.JPG
    2.1 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC07846.JPG
    DSC07846.JPG
    2.1 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC07878.JPG
    DSC07878.JPG
    1.7 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC08061.JPG
    DSC08061.JPG
    1.8 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC08072.JPG
    DSC08072.JPG
    1.9 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCF1704.JPG
    DSCF1704.JPG
    1.5 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCF1714.JPG
    DSCF1714.JPG
    2.1 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF1716.JPG
    DSCF1716.JPG
    2.4 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCF1717.JPG
    DSCF1717.JPG
    2 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF1721.JPG
    DSCF1721.JPG
    2.2 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCF1723.JPG
    DSCF1723.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF1735.JPG
    DSCF1735.JPG
    2.2 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCF1948.JPG
    DSCF1948.JPG
    1.6 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCF1995.JPG
    DSCF1995.JPG
    1.9 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCF2054.JPG
    DSCF2054.JPG
    1.8 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCF2073.JPG
    DSCF2073.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Uffz Severin.JPG
    Uffz Severin.JPG
    1.4 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCF1953.JPG
    DSCF1953.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 166
Hallo Uwe:

I'm asking around on a couple of other sites, though you should be aware that construction number info for Mosquitos is hard to find, and the numbers themselves were apparently not allocated in a completely logical fashion.

I believe you have the data plate for part of the undercarriage, specifically the tailwheel.

Cheers,

Mark

Hello again Uwe:

I had a reply from David Collins, who spends a good deal of his time over at Salisbury Hall, where the Mosquito Museum is located.

His post was:

"Chatting to a collegue from Salisbury hall at the weekend can I can add a few more details to this mosquito part.

Niether of serial numbers shown are the the aircraft construction number unfortunately, however they do identify it as being from a mosquito elevator.

J981018 is a drawing number and identifies an elevator assembly.

1718 is not the a/c construction number.

The "GPB" reference is likely to be the sub-contractors initials, and is one we have'nt seen before.

The exact location of the find would establish a better chance of getting the true identity.

Hope this helps.

So, is there any information as to the location of the find?\

Cheers, Mark

Hello,

enclosed you will find a plate that was found at the crashsite of the D.H. Mosquito. Can somebody help us identifying the aircraft?

I also add some of the oil paintings showing aircraft we recovered. Marek Dziewa, a member of our group is painting them. For more details please contact ust.

Uwe Benkel
Nice painting by your friend Uwe. Does he do requests? Was thinking of one for my Uncles lancaster which was shot down over Schwienfurt in April by Walter Bornshien( i think was the spelling) in his DO217-N1. I commend you on your efforts to finding the fallen from BOTH sides, would love to help you but i am in Canada!!
As for the Mosquito, i think there is a site that lists the Mosquitos and which base it flew out of. I will get back to you on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back