WW1 the eBay finds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

#LB Commercial 35mm Slide-Photo- Vintage WWI Airplane- Trainer- France | eBay

1611749311480.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That may be one of the not quite flyable trainers used to give a trainee pilot a "feel" for the controls with all the danger of actually flying.
I've heard of the penguins , is this one of them ?
I imagined them as having a lot less wingspread, but I guess with a small enough engine you can never have enough wing area.

I've heard of the penguins , is this one of them ?
I imagined them as having a lot less wingspread, but I guess with a small enough engine you can never have enough wing area.

You may be correct, it may be a flyable A/C. The Penguins pictures I could find on line all seem to have less wingspan than this one. (some seem to be older aircraft with a large portion of the wings removed) At least the purpose built Breese Penguins have less wing & no fabric on the fuselage behind the pilot.

So I have no Idea what A/C is in the post #261. The national insignia dates the picture as June 1917 or later. I think it actually has the slightly smaller red center dot that would date it to August 1919 or later. But I am not positive of that. Either way it is a nice Photo of a rarely seen subject.

By the French system of flight training, they had 2 different degrees of penguins, one that would just get light on the landing gear, and another that could get a few feet off the ground on a good day.
The French changed their methods several times during the war.
The USAS, or what ever the American air service was called, adopted the French method of early flight training in France,
I don't know how long, or widespread that method was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back