WW2 aircraft relics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

VF-11 F4F side panel, this one from b/n 11985. This was the plane my father was flying when he scored his fifth and sixth victories - both A6Ms - on 12 June 1943. I have the one from the otherside, too.

Rich

Attachments

• 1943 vintage insignia 2.jpg
    1943 vintage insignia 2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 109
It's clearly not a good photo, but the three pieces in the middle are from the plane to the left.

The two outside pieces have threads. The left piece feels heavier, and the right two pieces are significantly lighter.

Of course, the date was 25 November, 1944, the location off the Phillipines.

I think the rest can be read in the caption from the cruise book...

Attachments

• Essex_Kamikaze.JPG
    Essex_Kamikaze.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 103
P.S. Exactly what kind of aircraft crashed into CV-9? Was there a "radial engined Judy"?

Here's a bigger version:

CV-9_Essex-kam1.gif

Tail number is 17, and it appears the flaps are slightly down.

The D4Y3 had a Mitsubishi Kinsei radial engine, and there was also the D4Y4 single seat kamikaze version.

That last picture looks an aweful lot like a Zero.
Though the lack of cannon barrels protruding from the wings (A6M5 and later), the look of the tail, and what looks like rear flexible machine gun visible would say otherwise. (though the Kamikaze version of the D4Y was a single seater)

Great stuff, Junkers.

MFH, crazy question but I recently saw an episode of "History Detectives" about someone on a carrier during WWII who had pieces from a kamakazi attack - very similar to what you have. Wasn't you, was it?

Njaco,

Nope it wasn't me!

I got 'em from my late uncle who was a radar opreator on board the Mighty E from Christmas Eve '43 until '46. Thankfully, he gave me a lot of neat stuff from the ship, too, and I've held on to it all over the years.

kk89, thanks for the info on the D4Y3. When I think of a Judy, I always think of the D4Y1 2:

300px-D4Y2_before_take_off.jpg

But, after a little research (at your suggestion), this picture of a D4Y3 looks like what dove on Essex:

180px-Yokosuka_D4Y3_in_the_field.jpg

I found it in color hunting up the D4Y3:

D4Y_Yoshinori_Yamaguchi_col.jpg

Also, R Leonard, the side panels are awesome.

what a great find. looks like you totally restored the m17, how did you straighten her out? i have an mg81 bit bent and missing lots of parts.

how do you make ammo safe ??

please do be careful with German ammunition....it is not just the propellant and the cap, but also some heads are explosive and armour piercing and some have phospherous in them....throwing an armour/explosive head into a fire is very dangerous....a friend had one explode and ricochet around him....lucky not to be hurt. So please do be careful.....

I have my Dad's Purple Heart that he earned December 4th, 1944 near Saarlautern, Germany. I have his Ribbons somewhere. I should find them.

I do have a Green Beret that was worn in Vietnam by a friend that served 5 tours in "Nam". I held this in my left hand as I was sworn into the Guard September 2000. I figured that if there was any "luck" left in this Beret, I just might need it. I didn't figure on a "Road Tour of Iraq" at the time. But just maybe it had plenty left. They whole Company and Battalion came home safe! I can't prove it did. You can't prove it didn't either!

And I have the DCUs that I wore in Iraq. They still fit!

Bill G.

what a great find. looks like you totally restored the m17, how did you straighten her out? i have an mg81 bit bent and missing lots of parts.

i used a hydralic jack to straighten it out..carefully bending with low pressure. worked like a charm. i gave that sweet Mg 17 a real overhaul as that does preserve it better..if i had left it ontiuched it would just keep on decaying.. dident want that to happen. and thanks for the warnings guys. I know a lot about the german ammo and different types of explsoive heads..
and i have by accident managed to throw a cardboardbox full of german Mg FF and Mg 17 ammo on a large fire when we cleaned out my fathers barn..some other crap had gone on top of them so i dident see them until the flames burned away the cardboardbox and i saw all the ammo puring out..and man..i run fast that day, and it was quite a 4th of july/newyears eve by the fire that day :)

thanks, might even give it a try on the 81. im lucky enough to live and farm on a former ww2 usaaf base in england, have had quite a few finds including a propeller blade. hey junkers88,any more pics of that sweet 17?

first pic is the mg 81 that i bought just a few days ago,second pic is my luger ww1 navy model that i luckily found myself, in a pond just a few miles from where i live, lastly is the whole one side of a gp bomb that i found in a pond this time up on the airfield where i live and farm.

Attachments

• 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 118
  • 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 112
  • Christmas 2008 004.JPG
    Christmas 2008 004.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 100
thats better

Attachments

• 073.JPG
    073.JPG
    859.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 074.JPG
    074.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 119
here is a Mg 181 that was found just laying in a mountain.. with no wrecks nearby..anyway..done some small restoration on it. had hoped i would find some more parts to complete it but thats not easy so it will stay mostely ass it is..a relic

Attachments

• Mg 181 016.jpg
    Mg 181 016.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Mg 181 018.jpg
    Mg 181 018.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Mg 181 017.jpg
    Mg 181 017.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 95
three more of the Mg 17 and the typical Bf 110 mount

Attachments