WW2 Carrier Aircraft Jacks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rtbrd

Airman
Jun 5, 2023
I am about to start a 1/32 Tamiya F4U-1A and I'm thinking I want to pose it on a section of carrier deck. I have three mechanic figures that I want to show as working on one of the wheels. I have been searching for model accessories of a 1/32 jack or an actual photo of one, preferabiliy in use. Can anyone help with either?

Actually I'm not sure if a such work could be done on a carrier flying deck. IMHO the technical hangar was the place where it should be done. Regarding the lifting I would say it could be done with such ones seen in the pic below.

corsair maintenance.jpg

the pic source:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/WWIIplanes/comments/q16xal/an_f4u1c_corsair_fighter_undergoes_maintenance_on/

Actually I'm not sure if a such work could be done on a carrier flight deck. IMHO the technical hangar was the place where it should be done. Regarding the lifting I would say it could be done with such ones seen in the pic below.

View attachment 770164
the pic source:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/WWIIplanes/comments/q16xal/an_f4u1c_corsair_fighter_undergoes_maintenance_on/

Great pic in #2.
Now, I am pretty sure I missed the para in the Bendix-Stromberg carb manual where it says, "put the PT13 Carb down in the dirt!

Eng

Yes, I was thinking the same about the work being done on the flight deck but I'm going to use a little artistic lincense here, I can't build a hanger deck and I don't have the display room for a tilly crane so a tripod hydraulic jack will be the answer.

Speaking of answers you guys are amazing, I truly believe you can come up with the answer for about anything. Thankx.

Pretty sure a "Tilly" Can be seen in "The Men of the Fighting Lady" movie

Just got the book but have not seen the movie, that'll wait til I finish the book. I have several more hours before I finish Hawaii. Hawaii got me hooked on Michener, probably be able to read him til I go 10 toes up.

I am about to start a 1/32 Tamiya F4U-1A and I'm thinking I want to pose it on a section of carrier deck. I have three mechanic figures that I want to show as working on one of the wheels. I have been searching for model accessories of a 1/32 jack or an actual photo of one, preferabiliy in use. Can anyone help with either?
Jacking and trestling can be done anywhere that is flat and firm enough to support the jacks. More than a few carriers didn't have hangars so jacking was carried out al fresco. To ensure stability on a pitching / rolling deck the aircraft and jacks would be chained to the deck, with aircraft chains progressively released until jacked up.

Actually I'm not sure if a such work could be done on a carrier flying deck. IMHO the technical hangar was the place where it should be done. Regarding the lifting I would say it could be done with such ones seen in the pic below.

View attachment 770164
the pic source:

general jacking and chaining instructions for Corsairs, but no specific shipboard jacking instructions, in the appropriate sections

Attachments

• voughtf4u55n5pcorsairerectionandmaintenanceinstructions.pdf
    41.1 MB · Views: 6
Hope so, now all I need to do is find a 1/32 tripod hydraulic jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back