WW2's luckiest man

Discussion in 'WW2 General' started by gumbyk, May 6, 2013.

1. gumbyk

gumbyk Well-Known Member

Aviation QMS/SMS consultant
    Watched a documentary last night about Alistair Urqhart, who survived some harrowing ordeals in the Pacific:

From his accounts, it seems that the British tried to ignore the pacific war (no letters from home, nothing to even acknowledge their return), which is pretty sad.

2. raumatibeach

raumatibeach Banned

I saw that too , I felt for the tough old bugger and what he went through.

Hope other posters get a chance to see it too.

3. Thorlifter

Thorlifter Well-Known Member

IT Nerd
    I thought this was going to be about Tsutomu Yamaguchi, the man who survived both atomic bomb blasts. Still, this man had an army of guardian angels looking after him.

4. buffnut453

buffnut453 Well-Known Member

I was doing some research a few years ago and came across a citation for the award of an MBE to a Royal Air Force carpenter who worked at 151 MU, Singapore, when the Japanese attacked. He volunteered to remain behind when most of 151 MU was evacuated in January 1942 - his task was to keep building shipping crates, pack up equipment and ship it out to save it falling into the hands of the Japanese. This guy was in his late 40s and had served in France in 1939-40 being one of the lucky ones to evacuate from Dunkirk. He also served in the British Army during the First World War where he served at Gallipoli. An amazing life story for a humble chippie!