WWII Memorabilia

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
I have two items from WWII that I treasure:

I was home for a short time not long before departing for the UK. There was a knock on the door. An elderly neighbor lady came in and set down. She was holding a small item in her hand. She told me that her step son carried it in WWI and he survived. She went on to say she would like for me to have it in hopes it would bring me through safely. The item was a pocket size bible with an olive drab canvass cover. I carried this bible on missions in a pant leg pocket of my flight suit. I survived as well.

The other item is an 8 inch blade knife in scabbard. My father, a carpenter, made the blade from one of his hand saws and my home town harness maker made the leather handle and scabbard. I also carried this knife on my missions.

Your father must have been a blacksmith as well. There's quite a bit of metal work involved in making a good knife blade.

Your father must have been a blacksmith as well. There's quite a bit of metal work involved in making a good knife blade.
The making of a Samurai sword is very good metallurgy. In the absence of specifications and quality procedures the Japanese constructed a quasi religious ceremony to ensure it was done correctly.

The making of a Samurai sword is very good metallurgy.
Beyond a shadow, the hundreds of foldings over and over and the very production of the "Jewel steel" with its varying carbon content so that the blade is a mix if hard and soft steels thus keeping an edge and absorbing shock. The swords are true works of art.

Beyond a shadow, the hundreds of foldings over and over and the very production of the "Jewel steel" with its varying carbon content so that the blade is a mix if hard and soft steels thus keeping an edge and absorbing shock. The swords are true works of art.
There was also a clay covering applied which varied the severity of the quench, severe on the blade edge and soft on the blade body, it was covered in a TV series called The Ascent of Man" by the BBC and Jacob Bronowski.

I had a Saint Christopher medallion that I wore on every mission I flew. I felt it brought me good luck. Unfortunately I lost it in the desert sands of Iraq a few days before heading home.
To bad you lost the medallion but you have the memory and that is the next best thing. There was a tradition in our 360BS that was on going. As a crew would complete the last mission of their tour some of the crew members would give their good luck charm to someone still flying. I was given two. A pocket watch type compass with over 40 missions and a 50 cal. machine gun bolt stud with over 30. I did not know these crewmen as friends so they went out of their way to find someone to share their good luck with which I thought was neat.

Last edited:
I have one other unusual item, the Dresden "flak patch" off the 8'x10' map in our mission briefing room. The patch identified the concentrated flak area protecting the city.

I also have my red satin lined "battle jacket" made by a tailor in London. It was not accepted as official class A uniform until late in the war when so many brought them back to the USA. We wore them with no problem in the UK.

Last edited:
Any possibilities of seeing a few pictures of your memorabilia Bill?
It'd be quite amazing.
I echo the sentiment above, they served you faithfully well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back