WWII submarines..... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The I-200 class were also impressive

Imperial Japanese Navy submarines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Sentaka Type (I-201 class) submarines were modern design, and known as Sentaka (From Sen, abbreviation of Sensuikan, "Submarine", and Taka, abbreviation of Kōsoku, "High speed"). Three were built, I-201, I-202, and I-203 (I-204 to I-208 were not completed).

They displaced 1070 tonnes, had a test depth of 360 feet, and were armed with four torpedo tubes and 25-mm guns in retractable mounts to maintain streamlining. These submarines were designed for mass production. They were high-performance boats, with streamlined all-welded hulls and a high battery capacity supplying two 2500hp motors, which had nearly double the horsepower of the German-designed MAN diesels. The submerged speed was 19 knots, more than double that achieved by contemporary American designs. They were equipped with a snorkel, allowing for underwater diesel operation while recharging batteries.

31254819311.jpg

http://www.wing21.rtaf.mi.th/wboard/31254819311.jpg

Yes I know it is expensive and yes guys there are so many great WW2 bunkers and stuff they can really do something to make it so that the public and can view them or make them so that our grandkids can see them.

delcyros any more info on that bunker mate please?

Which sub would come out on top in the end, if you put them (those that saw action in a larger number in WWII) against each other one vs one?

Very few.

Unlike most other New tech. objects (missiles, jets), Dönitz emphasized a high degree of training with the then new type of electroboats and didn´t rushed them into combat. This and bombing caused delays meant that only a handful were operational by wars end. Some type XXI boats engaged in -purely defensive- actions such as several submarines used their AAA and at least three low level flying Lancaster are credited to type XXI AA-fire. Six boats disengaged ASW vessels underwater without beeing harmed and two type XXI boats shadowed a british submarine off norway (respectively a russian on in the Baltic) for days without taking any notice. U-2511 was one of only two boats, which went on an operational combat patrol into the North Atlantic and was recalled at VE-day. The boat intercepted a british convoi and undertook a mock attack on the convoi without beeing noticed by ASW-forces. Another boat reportedly underwent a mock attack on a ASW-covered CV in the northern North Sea a day later. None of the boats was detected.
Some of the smaller brother of type XXI, the coastal type XXIII boats went on combat patrols. The sinking of the last 4 ships of ww2 in english waters before VE-day are credited to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back