X-acto vs Scalpel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

These blade #'s have me puzzled. Is there a photo somewhere to see what shape corresponds to what #. I was looking at them on ebay and was confused #3 handle with #14 blade. What the hell does that tell me unless I am a Doctor

Both the X-acto and a scalpel can use a couple of different in shape cutting edges that are interchangeable of course. To keep an order these have numbers for each of these tools. While the X-acto blades can be used for the general and a little bit more accurate cutting , the scalpel ones are more precise. But it is my opinion only. Here a few examples....

33013-OA3ww-l.jpg

e028731.jpg

00002366_0.jpg

ostrza.jpg

I was wondering if I tape of a canopy with Tamiya tape.Do you think the scalpel would just cut the tape and not score the clear with just the right pressure.When it arrives,I will try this out on an old f6f canopy I have in the spares box

Of course it would. But you have to be very careful. My workmate does it in the way but I prefere Waynes' way with a pencil and scissors.

I agree - it works well, but you have to be very careful, and it's best to gain some experience in the 'feel' and balance of the Swann Morton scalpel first.
A word of warning, and I'm serious. Remember what these scalpels are designed for! They are sharp - very sharp - much 'keener' and precise than the X-Acto, which themselves are good, but designed for 'heavier' work.
It's very, very easy to cut yourself with a SM scalpel, without realising it - until you feel that cold sensation in your cheeks and around the stomach, and see the red stuff spreading across the bench! It's possible to easily cut to the bone on a finger or thumb, and it's a b*gger to stop the bleeding and then have to clean-up the mess - I know, I've done it - once, a long time ago. Learned from that!!

Been watchin and a-readin this post, I don't really disagree with anything you've posted but for plastic models I would find it hard to find a use for a surgical scalpel. Most of the time I use the heavy handle X-acto or Driver handle with the #11 blade and occationally the #10 blade. Don't even remember the last time I use the light handle xacto. Surgical blades are thinner and more fragile though as you say MUCH sharper.
Now for wooden models it would be a different story

Been watchin and a-readin this post, I don't really disagree with anything you've posted but for plastic models I would find it hard to find a use for a surgical scalpel. Most of the time I use the heavy handle X-acto or Driver handle with the #11 blade and occationally the #10 blade. Don't even remember the last time I use the light handle xacto. Surgical blades are thinner and more fragile though as you say MUCH sharper.
Now for wooden models it would be a different story
Mike, it's really the opposite way around - the X-Acto is better, and was originally designed for, working with wooden models. Although they are reasonably good for use with plastic, they're nowhere near as good, or as precise as a scalpel.

I have found that the good old X-acto is more than fine for basic modeling needs, while the scalpel is best for trimming canopies and such. The X-acto is much more sturdy and doesn't break as easily as the scalpel does.

Ooooo, conflict.

I have four handles, 3 scalpel and one exacto. 3 because I found 2 in a yard sale for 2 bucks!
One scalpel has the #15 half round, two have #11, one for "used" and the other for New blade.
Exacto is the pointy blade for hacking stuff.

I use the #15 for Shaving. I find the curve works better at it. I have boxes of 100 blades!

A few years ago I was given with the X-acto set by Charles. I have found it useful especially for general working with all main parts of models. I mean cutting pieces of sprues etc. However the scalpel is better for very precise working with all of small bits that are very thin and fragiles. Also cutting of thin and narrow stripes of plastic sheets is much easier and accurate with scalpel than the X-acto blades. However these thick styrene sheets are easier to cut with the X-acto tools. In my humble opinion it is not important which tool is better but matching a suitable tool to exact work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back