Revell vs Revell-Germany kits (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
I purchased a P-61 Black Widow kit if for no other reason than to help me improve my modeling skills. Besides it is one of my favorite WWII aircraft. I chose the Revell line as an inexpensive way of, again, getting my skills up before I dive into the 'finer' series of models.

The kit is the 45-7456. The instructions, while appearing to be complete and useful, are printed with a font that has me reaching for double power glasses. One of the advantages of the internet is the ability to download these instructions from the manufacturer. Saving in the PDF format I now have complete control over the font size and the paper size it is printed on.

The Revell site offers a set of instructions for the Revell-Germany Black Widow. It is sold as kit number 80-4887. From all appearances it seems to be the same model, piece wise, as well as assembly steps; although done in different orders. and the color scheme for piece painting is also a bit different?

The Revell website also allows me to download the instructions for the 45-7456 kit. What is puzzling is that these instructions are almost, but not the same as the printed instructions that came with the purchased kit?

Here are my questions / issues:

Has anyone had experience with both the Revell (domestic) and the Revell-Germany models and noticed enough of a difference where I should not follow the German version to build (the instruction seem much more detailed and organized!)?

The differences between the online instructions and the kit printed instructions for the 45-7456 are close but different enough to beg for me to choose between them if I don't do the German version. My instructions have a 2012 date on the last page while the online version has 2016. I guess the lesson is that there may have been enough feedback to Revell that they updated the instructions to 'fix' any discrepancies, or clarity issues, that customers brought to their attention?

News to me. I would use the 2016 instructions if for no other reason than you can actually read then. That being said, an set of instructions are NOT gospel. You may find an even better order to do the steps in, an order that suits YOU.

News to me. I would use the 2016 instructions if for no other reason than you can actually read then. That being said, an set of instructions are NOT gospel. You may find an even better order to do the steps in, an order that suits YOU.

You are correct on following the 'steps' outlined in kit instructions. I have finally learned to follow those instructions that are building the base structure and features of the model; but when to install the prop assemblies and canopy are very finishing dependent! However, for those of us that are not yet familiar enough with identifying aircraft parts by shape we still need some guidance, aka, instructions.

I purchased a P-61 Black Widow kit if for no other reason than to help me improve my modeling skills. Besides it is one of my favorite WWII aircraft. I chose the Revell line as an inexpensive way of, again, getting my skills up before I dive into the 'finer' series of models.

The kit is the 45-7456. The instructions, while appearing to be complete and useful, are printed with a font that has me reaching for double power glasses. One of the advantages of the internet is the ability to download these instructions from the manufacturer. Saving in the PDF format I now have complete control over the font size and the paper size it is printed on.

The Revell site offers a set of instructions for the Revell-Germany Black Widow. It is sold as kit number 80-4887. From all appearances it seems to be the same model, piece wise, as well as assembly steps; although done in different orders. and the color scheme for piece painting is also a bit different?

The Revell website also allows me to download the instructions for the 45-7456 kit. What is puzzling is that these instructions are almost, but not the same as the printed instructions that came with the purchased kit?

Here are my questions / issues:

Has anyone had experience with both the Revell (domestic) and the Revell-Germany models and noticed enough of a difference where I should not follow the German version to build (the instruction seem much more detailed and organized!)?

The differences between the online instructions and the kit printed instructions for the 45-7456 are close but different enough to beg for me to choose between them if I don't do the German version. My instructions have a 2012 date on the last page while the online version has 2016. I guess the lesson is that there may have been enough feedback to Revell that they updated the instructions to 'fix' any discrepancies, or clarity issues, that customers brought to their attention?
My understanding is there was little if any difference between the two, but after looking at the site Fubar recommended I am not so sure anymore. But I would walk through the instructions, both sets, and see if they actually match to the parts you have in your kit. Then use your best judgement but if the 2016 instructions match in terms of parts in the kit I would also probably go with the newer instructions.

This is basically the same kit as originally released, as are all of the Revell-Monogrm kits from this era. There might be differences in the presentation of the instruction sheets over the years, but the basics are still the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back