XB-70 valkyrie vs B-1B lancer

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As long as we're here, did the XB-70 have a bomb bay or was it just a proof of concept type?
The both XB-70's did have bomb bays, though they were both filled with test equipment. The bomb bay door slid forward or aft, I can't remember.

One other point, having read what it took just to get the Valkyrie into the air for each test flight I don't believe it would have been a reliable weapon system without major preflight preparation improvements. Perhaps it could have been used as a "Silver Bullet" in some situations, either as a bomber or for reconnaissance (but it would be had to beat the SR-71).

boom and zoom tacics mean getting in dropping the load and getting out before the enemy knows your there missles have problems one they can be detected and shot easyly two their useless if the target moves but a low flying supersonic bomber could get in undetected drop the bombs and get out

Cold War doctrine. It's the 21st century, join it. Technology has improved.

What about the B-58? It is a delta wing, very fast, nuclear capable, and there is one (at least) left at the AF museum. One could look at both and imagine.

Why? It has the radar signature the size of Jupiter, too expensive to operate and has antiquated systems an avionics. The best "deterrent" that could be accomplished is to keep it at the Air Force Museum.
i still say bulid it

bulid the b70

883E8E9F-E2D9-4D4F-BCFD-C81C514A6574.gif

Yes, but its role has been modified and adapted.
Just pointing out the obvious. The avionics might not have been that big an issue regarding the XB-70. Although the rest of it is dead on. Face it, kid, if aircraft were retained because of how cool they looked, the skies would be flooded with LWS-6's and F2A's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back