XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the impact of laminar flow nutsacks? Or the Meredith effect on groundhog performance, particularly at altitude?
The only Meredith I ever knew had no lift effect whatsoever! Zero camber laminar flow = zero lift. Zero AoA flat plate = drag only, no lift.

Well...not me, my theories of the B-29 being the best candidate for the job were dismissed in another thread.
Come on Dave, you know as well as I do that the BF109 (which is just a spitfire without roundels) is a better nuclear bomber than the B29. Especially when you pair it with a ground hog ( sorry, Ein Waldmurmeltier).

Last edited:
Hmm. We may have accidentally found the perfect role for the P-39.
Remove the rear-mounted engine, and the front - mounted armament. Replace these with a "nuke" and a rudimentary guidance system, and hang the whole lot beneath a A.W. Whitley, to be dropped and glide to the target.
Of course, the Whitley would need some modification to allow it to fulfil the mission; probably longer wings, a deeper fuselage, four engines etc, which would also help it to "escape" the target area, with the aid of range-extending, self-sealing, flash-protected nutsacks, especially as the P-39 would probably take some time to get to the detonation point (if it hadn't already stalled and plumetted vertically earthwards).
Sounds like a reasonable use of what was otherwise a collection of aluminium and other metals, all joined together and flying in close formation ..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread