XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demonstration by test pilot W.E. Coyote of center-of-gravity fail. :D

Wile E Coyote - rocket fail.gif

By removing armour from the forward area of the system, he forced the CofG to move aft, causing instability. Here's an image of a correctly-configured Wile E Coyote with nose armour in place:
View attachment 603029
Of course, anyone who has been following along would know he had removed the nose armor. If I had any intelligence, it would it would insulted by such comments.

But as I pointed out, all he had to do to correct that issue was to move the radio forward.

Oh, and delete the IFF unit in the tail...

I read somewhere that, after that flight, with the IFF removed, M. Coyote replaced the IFF, as he'd been told (in jest, but he believed it) that IFF stood for "It Flies Faster".
With the IFF now replaced, but unfortunately wrongly located, and not properly secured , the craft certainly did fly faster - in a vertical dive, straight into the nutsack replacement storage facility located on he edge of the desert airstrip. This resulted in a severe shortage of nutsacks, particularly those allocated for fitment to Groundhogs, and was a key factor in the short and inglorious service life of the Grrounhog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back